Romans 15:13 “Now, the God of all hope fill you with joy and peace through believing, that you may abound in hope”
· “Abound” = 4052 = superabundant, overflowing, excelling.
· “ Hope” = 1680 = to anticipate with pleasure, to expect
= happy expectation of good, of something not yet
· What is your hope – expectation for this year?
· God's desire is that you abound in hope – expectation of good to
- come through faith – through believing ( Hebrews 11:6)
2. 5 x Insights on Expectation:
· Your 'expectations' will have a powerful effect on what happens in your life, in your circumstances.
· Jeremiah 29:11 “- - thoughts of peace, not evil to give you an expected end”.
Expectation = the thing we desire, hope for, went for.
God will give us the expectations of our faith what we believe for.
5 Key Insights:
(i) Your Expectation is our Choice:
Mark 11:24 “Whatsoever things you desire when you pray –
· This is a powerful promise made by God to the believer.
· “Desire” = 154 = to require, to call for, => Not passive, what will be regretted.
· You have the power of choice concerning your life.
· The things you are expecting are what you have chosen to focus on.
· God requests of us to come to Him with expectation – anticipation.
· Each day you choose your attitude – what do you expect?
'Expectations' – releases a powerful pull of spiritual forces.
Your expectations can be evil or good.
eg. Hebrews 12:15 “Let no root of bitterness spring up”
· People who have been hurt and not resolved it can become bitter.
· People with bitter expectancy attract further bitter expectancies.
· Bitterness defiles yourself, and infects all around you.
eg. Acts 3:5 “He's gone ahead expecting to receive something”
· His expectation of good draw a miracle to him.
· Mark 5:28 “For she said if I may touch but His clothes I shall be made whole”
- The woman approached Jesus expecting to receive!
- “Said” = 3004 = to declare, boast, to lay forth.
eg. Meeting where people come expectant – the whole
eg. Benny Hinn Miracle Crusades – atmosphere filled with
Expectation puts a demand on the Holy Spirit.
(iii) Your Expectation is Specific:
· Nothing happens or changes until it becomes specific.
· Mark 10:51 “What do you want that I should do to you?”
“Want” = 2309 = determine, choose, incline to, desire.
· Many people are vague, fuzzy, religious.
eg. “Whatever the Lord wants me to have”
· Faith in God always is specific – what do you want?
· Many times Jesus made the person confess their specific needs.
(iv) Your Expectation can be Lost:
· When there is no expectation there will be no supernatural power.
· Many Christians live daily with little or no expectation on God.
· Why does this happen?
a) Association with people filled with unbelief. Numbers 13-14:1
b) Living in the comfort zone – Lukewarm. Revelation 3:17
c) Disappointment- expectations dashed. Luke 24:13-21
- fear of future disappointment. Proverbs 13:12
· “Trusted” = 1679 = to anticipate, have expectation or confidence.
· What they expect did not happen so they become sad and drew back.
(v) Your Expectation can be Raised:
Luke 24:29-33 “Did not our hearts burn as he talked with us and
opened to us the scriptures?”
a) Fresh Fellowship with Jesus – worship – word of God.
b) Resolve the Baggage – let go, forgive, acknowledge, face fears.
c) Set Clear specific Goals – stop being fuzzy- be clear where you
d) Pray the Promises – Mark 11:23 – find promises you can confess,
e) Focus Your Efforts - What need to eliminate? What need to focus
- What can you do?
f) Constantly express Gratitude – Praise for what God is doing!