Purpose Driven Life #2
Planned for God’s Pleasure
Jeremaih 29:11 “I know the thoughts I think concerning you – thoughts of peace not evil to give you a future and a hope”.
· Life without purpose is empty! – it becomes a treadmill – no end, no reason.
· True purpose can only be found by consulting the true creator – the one who made you.
· God’s thoughts and plans give us an eternal future and purpose for living.
· Without knowing God’s purpose - people find substitutes.
2. You were Created for God’s Pleasure:
Revelations 4:11 “You have created all thingsand for your pleasure they are and were created”.
· Pleasure = 2309 = purpose, desire, will, enjoyment.
· God wanted you to be alive so that He could enjoy you.
· E.g. Parents/Grandparents love to watch and be with their children – enjoy them.
· Psalm 149:4 “The Lord take pleasure in His people.
Pleasure = 7521 = to be pleased with, set affection, desire, delight self in.
· Psalm 35:27 “the Lord be magnified which has pleasure in the prosperity of His servant”.
· You were created to be loved and enjoyed by God.
3. Your First Purpose in life is to Worship God:
Matthew 22:36-38 “Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind”.
· One of the greatest gifts God has given you is the ability to enjoy pleasure.
· God wants you to love Him back – to bring enjoyment and pleasure to Him.
· First = 4413 = formost in place, time, order of importance.
· Greatest = most important = 1st and greatest command is to love God.
· Loving God brings pleasure to Him – it is called Worship.
· What is Worship? - it is much more than music, singing ---
Worship is My Response to God’s love:
1 John 4:10,19 “Here in is Love – God loved us and send His Son to be out Mercy Seat”.
· We love Him because He first loved us.
· God loved us first – He took the initiative to remove all barriers to relationship.
· God always makes the first move! – We respond.
· “Because” – loving God is your response to experiencing His love for you.
· Romans 12:1 “…present your bodies, a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God.
· Present your body ð offer, yield up your life in every area of expression.
· Acceptable = 210 = fully agreeable, well pleasing – brings great pleasure to God.
b) Worship is Giving Back to God:
Mark 12:30 “Love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, all your mind and all your strength”.
· God wants you to love Him with every part of your being.
· Your mind = Thoughtfully – think it through, not mindless.
· Your heart and soul = Passionately - with feeling, expression.
· Your strength = Practically – abilities, gifts, strengths.
· Whenever you take what God has given you, give it back it is an act of worship.
4. Worship is Focussing on your Attitude on God:
Psalm 139:1-3 “your are intemately acquanted with all my ways”.
· God notices every detail of your life – He is paying attention to you.
· God distiguishes all that you do – good and bad.
· “Nothing is hidden from Him” (Hebrews 4:13) – never stops thinking about you.
· It takes energy and commitment to focus your mind, thoughts upon God.
· Giving God your attention is one way of expressing your love towards Him.
· How? (1) Daily time alone with God.(Mark 1:35)
(2) Develop constant conversation.(1 Thessalonians 5:17)
(3) Meditate the Word of God. (Psalm 119:9)
· Learn to talk to Him through the day about what you are doing.
· Take effort to give God attention – tend to focus on self.
Isaiah 26:3 “You will keep Him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on you”.
Mind = 336 = purpose, imagination, to mould into shape.
Stayed = 5564 = to lean upon.
5. Worship is expressing your affection to God:
Exodus 34:14 “The Lord’s name is yealous”.
· Jealous = 7067 = to be passionate, zealous, full of fire.
· God is passionate about you – He longs for a relationship with you.
· Narure reflects that God is passionate – full of expression.
· Must learn to express appreciation, love.
· Must learn to be honest with God about your fellings, fears, struggles.
· Ways of expressing love:
(i) Gratitude (Psalm 100:4)
(ii) Celebration (- requires expression) (Psalm, 47:1,Psalm 103:1)
(iii) Surrender (1 John 4:19 - We love Him because He first loved us.)
· Surrender = to let go control of your life, to sacrifice your own prioritiesfor His.
= it is not passive, fantalistic, repression.
· God uses surrendered people to fight His battles, they trust Him completely.
· Biggest blocks to surrender are: fear and pride.
6. Worship is using your attitudes for God:
Colossians 3:23 “Whatsoever you do, do it heartily as to the Lord, and not unto men.
· Every activity can become an act of worship whan done for pleasure of God.
· “Whatever you do” =Don’t compartementilise life – work, home, money.
· Work becomes worship when you dedicate it to the Lord and do it with an awereness of His presence observing all you do.
· God has gifted you with abilities – He wants you to use them and develop them not to reject or to despise them – There are no unspiritual abilities. (Matthew 25:21)