Purpose Driven life #3
Loving God’s Family
Mark 12:30 “Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul ….”
· You were created for a purpose – The Word of God explains God’s purpose for you and me.
· 1st Purpose = Worship – you were created to know and to love God.
Worship – is much more than just music, songs – worship
= presenting yourself to God.
· God desires to have a family – children – He is building a family for Himself.
· God is building an external family – one that will last forever.
· 1 Peter 2:17 – “Love the brotherhood” ie, “Love the brotherhood of believers” (NIV)
· Brotherhood = 81 = “from the same whom”.
2. 2nd Purpose = Fellowship- (You wre created to love the family of God)
1 John 4:21 “This commandment we have from Him that he who loves God, love his brother also.
· Fellowship – a word that is misused – it means much more than talking!
· Fellowship = Loving the family of God.
· Hebrews 2:11 “Both the one who makes men holy and those who are made hoy are of the same family”.
So Jesus is not ashamed to call them brothers.(NIV)
· A Christian is a person who has trusted Christ and been born again – into family. (Galatians 3:26)
· Jesus is not ashamed to call us family – Christians are Jesus’ family.
· Mark 3:35 “Who soever shall do the will of God, the same is my brother, my sister, my mother”.
· The family of God is a spiritual family – God’s family - outlast natural family.
· The key characteristic of God’s family is: They seek to bring pleasure to Him.
3. Identifying with Christ and His Family:
Hebrews 2:11 “He is not ashamed to call them brothers”, (family).
· Jesus is not ashamed to identify openly with His people.
· Believers need to identify with Christ openly and publicly.
· Matthew 25 – If you show kindness or bless His family members – you do the same to Jesus, if you curse or hate His family members – you curse and hate Jesus.
(a) Baptism – Identify with Christ:
Romans 6:3,4 “--- burried with him by baptism into death”
· Baptism = A public identification with Jesus Christ, death and
· Baptism = Burial - proclaiming publicly death/separation from old
The old life was self-centred, living in sin for self.
· Baptism = Proclaiming publicly the beginning of a new life in
A New Life is centred on pleasing God.
· Have you been Water baptized yet?
(b) Membership = Identify with the Family of God:
1 Corinthians 12:13 “By one Spirit are we all baptized into one body”.
· At new birth the Holy Spirit places us into a new family.
· God positions us in the right place in our church - Not ourselves.
· God puts people in His chosen church, not where you want them to go.
· God puts people in A Church for A purpose.
· The Family of God is the Church. (1 Timothy 3:15).
· Church is not a building, not a place; it is a family you belong to.
· Membership is about belonging to the family of God – a specific local church.
· Stick to one home (Church) – Membership = connect with one family/church. You can’t be in different families. Don’t be a
“ cafeteria family” – move from one to another.
· Each Family has their own trademark – discover which trademark you belong to. E.g. Children carry specific familiarities from their parents – by ways of a look, head turn, likings of certain tastes etc.
· Natural Family – comes to an end, Spiritual Family – are forever.
Natural family – can neglect God.
Natural Family – reflection of the true family of God.
· Jesus loves His family – You can’t say to Him; “I’ll love you but hate your family”.
· Fellowship = Loving the family of God – it is very specific and very practical.
· We are foreigners to the world.
4. 4 Different levels of Fellowship:
(i) Level one: Membership – Choosing to belong:
- Ephesians 2:19 “You are members of God’s household/You belong to the family of God” (TLB)
- You need to find a church family and choose to connect to it.
- Christianity is more than just believing, it’s also about belonging.
- Belonging is a choice; you choose to belong to a local church.
- 1 Corinthians 12:18 “God sets the members, everyone of them in the body as it has pleased Him.
Set = 5087 = to position, purpose, appoint, commission.
He initiates, we respond.
Everyone – God has a positioning, a place He purposed for you to belong.
- God positions people into different churches, areas and it’s for the people to obey and say ‘yes’ to were God wants them to be.
- God places people were He could use them to their full potential and to bring pleasure to God.
- Like different parts of the body – God places you in to a certain part of the family (church) to function.
- Members choose to belong.
- “Bringing pleasure to God”đ discover where He wants you to belong even in the community. React to it.
(ii) Level 2: Relationship – Choosing to Share:
- You were created for relationship (Genesis 2:18 “not good for man to be alone”
- Life is not a solo act – you need relationships.
Hebrews 10:25 “Do not forsake the assembling of yourselves together.
- Can’t develop relationships without: (i) Meet together.
- Choose to develop relationships by making time to meet and to share. You need to share/give of yourself. Sacrifice – time, money, emotional self.
- No relationship – malfunctioning – you become lonely.
- It doesn’t just happen! – You must choose to make time
- Sharing? (a) Experiences. (Proverbs 27:27 Iron sharps Iron)
· Learn from the experiences and insights of others.
(b) Home. (1 Deuterenonomy 4:9 - Use hospitality
· Cheerfully open your home to others.
· You can’t fellowship in a big crowd – need small
group – home.
(c) Problems. (Galatians 6:2 “Bear one another’s
· You don’t have to fix peoples problems. (Freedom
· Give encouragement and support – this is a
primary purpose of God.
(d) Recourses. (1 John 3:16 “not love in word but in
deed and in truth.)
· Practical help.
(iii) Level 3: Partnership = Choosing to do your Part.
· Not called to “soak in a spiritual spa”- you must do your part.
· Every family has responsibilities/choices/tasks to do. Be actively busy.
· 1 Corinthians 2:9 “We are co-labourers with Christ”
· To do your part you need to find “where you fit” and contribute.
· Discovery course!
(iv) Level 4: Friendship/Sonship.
· John 15:13 “Greater love has no man than this, lay down his life for his friends”.
· Life is not about accomplishments – it is about relationships.
· At the end of life – Dying – never say bring my diplomas – you say, bring my family and friends.
· Covenant friendship, same spirit, same attitude, carry the heart of your church.
· 1 John 4:20,21
· 1 John 3:10-12
· Must learn to love real people, not ‘ideal’ people.
· No one in church is ideal.
· “Spiritual Caning” , Bible bashing – is not a way to build up a relationship with “Family”.