Ephesians 2:10 “You are his workmanship - created in Christ Jesus unto good works which God has before ordained that we should walk in them”.
· God has put you on this earth to be a contributor not a consumer.
· You are God’s workmanship – but He is maturing you for a purpose - Ministry
· “Good works” = works done meeting the needs of people i.e. ministry
· “Ministry” – a misunderstood word – people think of pastors and
- minister/ministry means, one who serves.
· Every member of the family is a minister.
· Every Christian is called to “full-time” ministry (service) for Christ.
· Service is not optional – something to see if you can fit it in your spare
· God’s purpose is for you to become useful in his Kingdom by contributing.
· At the end of your life God will evaluate your life service – How well you’ve served! Matthew 25:19-30
2. God has Shaped You for Service:
Ephesians 2:10 “- - unto good works which God has before ordained that we should walk”.
Example: - Jeremiah 1:5 “Before I formed you in the womb, I knew you..”
- 1 Kings 13:2 - Josiah
- Judges 13:5 - Samson
- Genesis 35:22 – Jacob and Esau
· Nothing that happens in your life is insignificant – god uses it all to shape you.
· It is your responsibility to discover and develop what God has given you.
(a) Spiritual Gifts:
· 1 Corinthians 12:7 “Now the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man”.
· Spiritual gifts are operations or manifestations of the Holy Spirit.
· Spiritual Gifts are given to every believer to contribute to building the church.
· If you don’t discover and develop and contribute your gifts others are cheated.
· When did you last move – serve with spiritual gifts?
· Proverbs 27:19 “As in water face answers face, so the heart of man to man”.
· Your heart reveals the real you – who you are.
· Your heart š desires, dreams, affections, hopes, ambitions – source of motivation.
· Your heart influences what you say, do and why you fell the way you do. Proverbs 4:23 “ - - out of your heart flow the issues of life”.
· What is your heart? Your passions – what you are enthusiastic about.
· 2 Keys that identify heart: (i) Enthusiasm (ii) Effectiveness
· Romans 12:3-6 “- having gifts that differ according to the grace give to us”
· Abilities are the natural talents you are born with – they are important.
· All your abilities are a gift that comes from God and can be used for God.
· The abilities you have must be discovered and developed – that indicate God’s call.
· Whatever you are good at develop and use it to bless others.
· 1 Corinthians 12:6 “There are diversity of operations but the same God.
· God loves variety – He has made you different to others.
· God uses all types of personalities, Peter = sanguine/Paul = choleric/Jeremiah = melancholic (DISCRIPTION)
· Your personalities affects how and where you use your gifts.
· Don’t copy others – learn from their example.
· Romans 8:25 All things work together to them who love God.
· You are shaped by experiences you have been through.
· E.g. Family, Education, Vocational, Spiritual, Ministry, Painful.
· God uses all these experiences to prepare you for serving Him. Even painful experiences are not wasteful in God. (2 Corinthians1:4) – Share them!
3. Learn to Think and Act like a Servant:
· Matthew 20:25-28 “ – even as Son of Man come – not to be ministered to but to minister and to give His life a ransom for many”
· Serving starts in your mind – to be a servant a mental shift – an attitude change.
· Having the heart of a servant is more important than knowing your shape.
(i) Servant heart = being available:
· Matthew 20:30-32 Jesus stopped and called to them – NB Sensitive and spontaneous.
· Jesus “stopped” – he allowed his plans to be interrupted by the needs of others.
· If you only serve when it is convenient you don’t have a servant heart. (Proverbs 3:26)
· How available are you? Is your life so filled with your own pursuits – not available?
· 3 Barriers of availability: (1) Selfcentredness – so focused on
own needs. (Philippians 2:4)
(2)Perfectionism–waiting until perfect (Ecclesiastes 11:4)
(3) Materialism – focused on money and things. (Luke 16:13)
(ii) Servant heart = being grateful:
· Psalm 100:2 Serve the Lord with gladness.
· Constantly maintain an attitude of gratitude for opportunities given to you.
· Opportunities to serve are an entrustment – Opportunity for growth and reward.
· 2 Barriers to gratitude:
(1) Comparison/Criticism (Romans 14:40)
(2) Wrong motivation, wanting approval. (Matthew 6:1)
(iii) Servant heart = being faithful:
· John 17:4 “I have glorified you – I have finished the work you gave me to do.
· Jesus was faithful in completing the work He was given.
· Servants: Finish their tasks, Turn up on time, Keep their promises, Come prepared, fulfill their commitments.
· Servants don’t quit when the going gets tough or get discouraged.
Hebrews 6:10 God is not unrighteous to forget your labour of love.
Matthew 25:21 Well done good and faithful servant.