1. Summary of 40 Days of Purpose
i) It is not about You – it is about God
· Col 1:16 All things were created by Him and for Him
· Rev. 4:11 You have created all things and for your pleasure they were created.
Pleasure = 23-0 = purpose, desire, will, choice
· The purpose of your life is much bigger than:
- personal goals – personal happiness – job – family – ambitions
· You can accomplish all your goals and totally miss your purpose in life.
· You must connect with God – You were born by His purpose – for His purpose.
ii) Life is a Pentathlon of 5 Purposes
· Great Commandment – Mk 12:30 – 31
· Love the Lord – Worship Created to love God
· Love Your Neighbour – Ministry Shaped to Serve
· Great Commission – Mt 25:19 – 20
· Go make Disciples – Mission Made for a Mission
· Baptise them – Fellowship Formed for God’s
· Teach them to obey – Maturity Created
to become like Christ
2. Key insights from Psalm 1:
(a) God desires you to be Blessed (v1):
· Blessed = 835 = Happiness, Fulfilment.
· God’s desire for you is to live a blessed life.
· Every person longs for happiness, fulfilment - but they don’t know how to obtain it.
· A Blessed life is consequence of choices – Psalm 1, lays out how to obtain it.
(b) You must separate from things which is low in value (v1):
(i) “Walk not in the council of the ungodly”. (v1)
· There are three different types of people - moving away from God.
· “Ungodly” = 7563 = withholds from God & from people,
not influenced by God in any of his decisions, self
willed person , no respect for God.
· “Walk” = way of life.
· “Council” = the advice, the plan, the purpose, advises people to live life His way.
· Who is advising you? Who is speaking to your life and influencing your decisions?
· A blessed man has internal values – he rejects council of people who have no respect for God.
· Your life is a result of choices – need godly advice/connect.
(ii) “Nor stands in the way of sinners” (v1)
· “Sinners” = 2400 = to miss the mark, pass over the boundaries.
- He does things that are evil and wrong
eg. Drunk, dishonest, lies, cheats, immoral.
· Way = the path, the lifestyle, the places sinners is found.
· Stand in the way = lingering where sinners are with desire to be part of it.
· Sin is progressive. Once listened to ungodly advice, soon you will long after the apparent “befits of sin”.
· In what areas of compromise? Lingering or Standing?
(iii) “Nor sits in the seats of the scornful”:
· “Scornful = 3887 = to speak against, belittle, mock, make fun of.
· Seat = to deliberately associate and make friends with people who are verbally apposed to godly ways.
· Blessed is the man who chooses greater values God’s ways.
Example 1: Lot – progression of loss of blessing.
· Genesis 13:12 – Dwelled by
· Genesis 14:12 – Dwelled in
· Genesis 19:1 - Sat in gate
· Ezekiel 16:48-50 sin of Sodom – pride, full, idle, selfish.
Example 2: Abraham – progressive increase in revelation.
· Genesis 13:14
(c) You must Roam on What has Eternal Value:
· (v2) “But his delight is in the Law of the Lord, in His law
you must Meditate”
· Whatever you focus on, you give your attention and head to it.
· Success, blessing is a result of focus on things of high value.
1. Delights in the Word of God.
· Delight = 2656 = to value, to desire, to take pleasure in, purpose.
· Conscious choice to give value to the Word of God.
2. Meditate in the Word of God.
· Meditate = 1897 = to roll over in mind, ponder, think continually.
· To ponder about how you can apply the Word of God to
· To feed your soul with the Word of God and align your
life to obey it.
James 1:22 Be not a forgetful hearer – does the word of God.
(d) Remember the Benefits of Applying the Word of God:
(i) Become like a fruitful Tree - Planted, not a wild Tree.
- Next to an irrigation ditch.
· Stability – strong root system to strengthen.
· “Bring forth fruit”- your life reflects your focus on true values.
· “Leaves will not wither” - Vitality and life.
· Substance to your life – what ever you do will prosper.
(ii) Not like the Ungodly:
· Chaff – no substance, no real value.
· Will not stand in the Judgement – but punished.
(iii) God observes and rewards the Godly Lifestyle:
· The Lord knows the way (lifestyle) of the righteous.