1 Corinthians 3:6 “One plant, another watered but God gave increase”
· There is a supernatural increase that comes from relationship and obedience to the Lord.
· Key words: (i) Faith – taking hold of God for the release of the
supernatural. (Hebrews 11:6)
(ii) Increase – People/resources added to church – Bay City. (Collossians 2:19)
· Whatever is healthy and vital should grow!
· How many will be added to church this year because of your influence?
2. God Desires to be the Centre of Your life:
James 4:6 “God resist the proud, but gives grace unto the humble”.
· Resist (v6) = 498 = to arrange oneself against, to oppose.
· If you desire the supernatural increase you must look at your heart attitude and lifestyle.
· Signs of resistance: (i) Conflict. (James 4:1)
(ii) Dissatisfaction. (James 4:2)
(iii) Unanswered prayer. (James 4:3)
· Cause of resistance – Seduced into following the spirit of the world.
· “Adulterer”(v4) = person who betrays commitment in marriage
= person who has another lover.
· “Friendship of the world” = to be fond of the worlds value system.
đ To call oneself a Christian but embrace values and lifestyle that are contrary.
đ Issues of honesty, purity, honour, authority, materialism and
đ Calling oneself Christian but having another lover – “World”
· “Whoever will” đ the person who has the mind and makes
· Choosing to embrace the values opposed to Christ, makes you hostile to Gods purpose.
· “Enemy” = 2190 = to be passively hateful, hostile, an adversary.
· The core value that drives the world is “Pride”
· The Holy Spirit intensely craves that Jesus be the focus of your Heart.
“He longs after us like a scorned jealous lover”
3. God Resists the Proud:
James 4:6 “God resists the Proud”
· Without God – Life has little meaning or purpose.
· Without God – Only source of meaning is pursuit of
happiness and security.
· Without God – People are driven by selfish ambition – “It’s all
about Me!” (Self Idolatry)
· 1 John 2:16 “All this is in the world – not of the Father”.
How to Recognise Pride:
Matthew 12:33 “- - a tree is known by it’s fruit - -“
· Refusing to trust God. (Psalm 10:4)
· Refusing to acknowledge sin, weakness, failure.
· Pretending to be something different to what we
· Covering sin and failure - denial, murmuring,
· Independence – refusing to connect in
· Resist and critical of authority.
· Complaining and murmuring.
· Judgemental and critical of others.
· Unteachable – reacts to any correction.
· Demanding and ungrateful.
· Unforgiveness and disloyalty in relationship.
· Self promotion – taking credit for what God/others have done, conscious of position.
· Materialistic – exercise focus on things!
· God resists the proud đ permits obstacles in their path that break the self and bring awareness of the need for Christ!
· Note: (v7) To resist demonic opposition you must confront
4. God give Grace to the Humble:
James 4:6 “God gives grace to the humble”
· Grace = supernatural ability to get victory over sin and Satan and
to win in life! (Romans 5:17)
· Submit yourself = 5293 = hupotasso = to submit, place self under.
đ to position yourself under God’s authority and order and to work as a team under His leadership and direction.
· Note: You don’t pray for this – you choose to do it. (Humble self)
· Some Fruit of Humility/Humbleness:
· Life is focused on the Lord. (not self) (2 Corinthians 5:15)
· Acknowledges the giftings and placement of God. (Romans 12:3)
· Serves people. (John 13:14 / Philippians 2:7)
· Encourages and appreciates people, not focus on lacks.
· Learns from other people – able to be corrected easily.
· Lays down rights – picks up responsibilities.
· Quickly confess failures and sin.
· Unexpected benefits!
(i) Supernatural ability. (James 4:6)
(ii) Victory over demonic opposition. (James 4:7)
(iii) Increase and promotion. (James 4:10)
(iv) Presence of God. (James 4:8 / Isaiah 57:15)
(v) Revelation and insight. (Isaiah 6 / 2 Chronicles 26:15-16)
Jeremiah 17: 5-8 “The Man God Blesses”