Purpose Driven Life #1
Don’t waste your life
Ephesians 5:15-17: “See then that you walk circumspectly, not as fools but as wise”.
· You have only one life to live – one day your time on earth ends and eternity begins.
· Bible warning – don’t waste your life, don’t waste the oppertunities you have.
· Make the best use of your time š you must prioritise your life – What is important?
· 3 Question Keys: 1. What does God want?
2. What will it take?
2. What does God want? – Your whole life!
a) Deuteronomy 10:12 What does the Lord require of you?
i.e. What does he Lord want in return for what He has done for me?
i) Fear the Lord š reverence, respect, honour His authority.
(Proverbs 8:8 – hate evil) (Proverbs 16:6 – depart from evil)
ii) Walk in His ways š follow His pattern and purpose for you.
iii) Love the Lord with all your heart and soul.
iv) Serve the Lord with all your heart and soul š Place your self
available to Him to advance the interests of His Kingdom, serve with all your heart.
· God wants all your heart - your loyalty – 1st place in your life.
· God will never take second place.
b) Matthew 6:24 “No man can serve two Masters”
· Master = 2962 = supreme in authority, having the final say.
· Hate = 3404 = to hate, pursue with hatred, detest, loveless.
Love = 25 = agape – love that sacrifice.
· Hold = 472 = to stick to, care for.
Despise = 2706 = to contemn, despise, disdain, think little or
nothing of, to think against.
· Cannot š 2 words = 3576 = absolute.
= 1410 = to be possible.
· God wants all your life – not 10%, 50% - God wants all your heart = completely.
· Many want to serve God in “spare time”
· Many devide life into parts like a pie – give God his part and the rest is mine.
· God wants to direct the whole pie – You cannot have two people as #1.
· Mammon = spirit being that empowers and controls money.
· What other masters do you serve?
- Money? Work? Family? Sports? School? Marriage?
- 1st place š 1st in time, order, place, priority, importance. (Matthew 6:33)
c) Luke 14:18-20 “They all began to make excusses”
· Let ‘me first go and do this’ – then afterwards I’ll follow you!
· Make excuse = 3688 = decline, put off to another day, avoid the issue.
· Cannot have “Me first” and also Jesus 1st.
· What excuse? Wealth – work – wife.
d) Proverbs 3:5-6 “Trust in the Lord – acknowledge – he will
direct your path”.
· Acknowledge = 3045 = To know, be intimate.
· Direct your paths = 3474 = to make straight and come to
3. What does it take? – Discipline.
a) 1 Timothy 4:7 “Excersise self into godliness”
· Exercises = 1128 = To train, to disciplnine = prepare yourself for an Olympic performance.
· Keep yourself spiritualy fit – bodily exercises is ok, but spiritual
excersise is more important.
· Discipline š Formation of habits – What you do habitualy reveals your character.
· To change your life you must change your habits – develop new habits.
· Your life is shaped and follows the habits you have developed.
b) Hebrews 12:1 “let us lay aside every weight and the sin
that does so easily beset us”.
· Weight = 3591 = burden, hinderence, anything that hinders your best performance.
· Sin = 266 = to miss the mark and not share in the price.
· Beset = 2139 = skillfully surrounding i.e. besetting, to stand around and have advantage over you.
· You need to develop habits in your life.
I. Habit of letting go.
· Sin = Limits your potencail, holds you back.
Breaking the commandments of God.
· Weight = Slows you down, but not necesserily bad.
e.g. expectations, money, fear, offence, relationships, activity.
· You must learn to say NO - let go!
· It is hard to let go if your identity is tied to it.
II. Habit of building Godliness.
· There’s 3 habits to be formed over the next 40 days:
1) Read Daily Devotion.
2) Attend the weekly Small Group.
3) Learn the memory verse.
· These habits make way for your whole life to change!
· What will you let go? – T.V. , Late Nights, Internet?
· There is always a cost to putting God first – but the benefits are enormous.
c) Luke 10 – Martha – cumbered about much serving.
· Cumbered = 4049 = to be driven about mentally, to be
distracted, to be over-occupied,
too busy, about a thing, be anxious,
burdened by pressures of tasks.
· One thing is needful!” š required, necessary.
· Make the right choice – put God first – develop new habits.
4. Why should I do it? – What Jesus did for me!
2 Corinthians 5:15 “He died for all – that henceforth no longer live unto self”.
· No longer š Life before Christ was self-centred – lived for me for now!
· Cost Jesus to die for you and for others – cost His life!
· Now we have a New centre = Christ.
- New purpose = please Him.
· Now you are called to be an ambassador (v20)
· Sense of Responsibility!