Contend for the Supernatural #1
Jude 1:3 - - it was needful to me to write unto you and exhort you that you should earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered to the saints
· Needful form = 318 = distress, constraint to take urgent action.
· The church had moved away from the Holy Spirit empowered people - - Drifting.
· The original foundation of the doctrine and power were being eroded.
· The Church needed to be exhorted = to call back, to call near.
· Exhort = to call back to what youve had and not have now.
· Earnestly Contend = 1864 = epagonizomai = to struggle, compete for a prize,
- to contend with an adversary.
- Root = agon = place of assembly for a gladiator or Olympic contest.
- To exert oneself without distraction to obtain something of great value.
· Once delivered = 3860 = to entrust, to transmit, to pass a baton.
· The Apostles had entrusted doctrine and power to the church to advance the Kingdom.
· Now the foundations eroded with compromise, permissive living.
· The Church had change from early New Testament full of faith - power purity.
· Now theres a loss of passion, purity, commitment, power.
· You need to arise and press through for an increase in miracles.
2. The Church was Birthed in the Supernatural:
(a) Supernatural = Anything above and beyond the natural realm.
= An affect on the natural world that cannot be
explained by the natural laws.
= The overriding of natural laws, speeding up of
(b) The God we serve is Supernatural -
· Jeremiah 32:27 I am the Lord God of all flesh is anything to hard for Me?
· The Bible abounds in Supernatural intervention of God. Luke 1:37 - Nothing impossible
E.g. (a) Old Testament Moses, Joshua, Samuel, David, Elijah.
(b) Jesus Life Supernatural birth, ministry, resurrection.
(c) Apostles Trained by Jesus for the Supernatural.
Outpouring of the Holy Spirit.
(d) New Testament Church
Acts 2:1-4 Outpouring of the Holy Spirit.
Acts 2:41 3000 saved.
Acts 4:1-4 5000 saved.
Acts 5:14-16 Multitudes added.
Acts 6:6 People gave their heart seeing miracles.
Acts 9:32-35 Two whole cities came to the Lord.
· New Testament Church was birthed and grew in the supernatural power.
3. God is Restoring His Church:
(a) Acts 3:21 Jesus will not return until the restitution of all things.
· Times = 5330 = chronos = a period of time.
· Restitution = 605 = to reconstitute to health, function, vitality.
· There must be a change in the Church.
· Samuel operated in the corporate anointing and impacted the nation. (1 Samuel 7:13)
(b) Restoration is ongoing.
· E.g: Martin Luther; Wesley; Anabaptists; Brethren; Pentecostals
: Healing Evangelism, Pastors, Teachers, Prophets, Apostles.
· Haggai 2:7-9 Glory of latter have greater the glory of former.
Glory = Nature and power.
· Romans 15:19 - - - fully preached the Gospel through mighty signs and wonders.
· There must also be restoring of power to the Church.