Contend for the Supernatural #4
“Building an Atmosphere for Miracles”
Jude 1:3 - - “it was needful to me to write unto you and exhort you that you should earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered to the saints”
· “Earnestly Contend” = 1864 = epagonizomai = to struggle, compete for a prize,
· Faith => (i) Doctrine – Teachings of the Word of God.
(ii) Power - Manifest of supernatural power of God.
a) Miracles are part of God’s provision for our life to have impact.
· Miracles – provision – healing – deliverance – finance – breakthrough – prayers answered.
· Don’t settle for a powerless life:
- Form without power. ( 2 Tim 3:5 – form of godliness)
- Talk without power. ( 2 Cor 4:20 – not in word – in power)
- Character without power.(Mark 3:14 – send – to have power)
b) Miracles flourish where there is a strong atmosphere of desire and expectation.
Mark 6:5-6 “He could do no mighty work there….”
· Unbelief and dishonour create an atmosphere resistant to miracles.
Mark 6:55-56 “… as many as touched him were made whole”
· Hunger and expecting an atmosphere where miracles abound.
· The people’s attitude, actions and words released the supernatural power of God.
· The more you expect God to work – the more He works.
· When the Holy Spirit is expected and welcomed with expectancy => MIRACLES.
2. Keys to Building an Atmosphere for Miracles:
#1. Hunger for the Presence of God:
Mark 6:55 “… they ran through the whole region.”
· If you want miracles then pursue the miracle worker – Jesus Christ the source.
· Religious spirit resists this hunger – focuses on empty form.
· Hunger for God is an appetite that can be stirred up.
· Too much junk food destroys your appetite.
· Psalm 27:4 “One thing than I desired of the Lord and that will I seek after.”
· Continue to hunger for encounters with God and respond to His presence.
· They ran => urgency, longing, hunger to encounter Christ.
· Daily time with God.
· Weekly corporate gathering.
#2. Expectation of Miracles:
Mark 6:55 “…. Began to carry about in beds those that were sick.”
· Expectation creates an atmosphere filled with excitement e.g. Christmas.
· Expectation = to anticipate, look forward to something good.
· Passivity = spirit that quenches our expectation – makes people childish, unrespectable.
· Expectation => God can – God has done it – God will do it again.
· Acts 3:5 – “He gave head to them expecting to receive -> Healed.
· Miracles flourish in an atmosphere of expectation.
#3. Talking about Miracles:
Mark 6:55 “…. Where they heard that he was”.
· Miracles flourish in an atmosphere where people talk about the Power of God.
· What ever is in your heart will come out your mouth.
· Negativity = focussing and speaking out failure,
= a spirit that affects people with unbelief.
· Filling heart and mouth with the Word of God takes effort – time.
· Numbers 13:30 “Let us go up at once and possess it – we are well able”.
· Matthew 9:21 “For she said within herself – ‘if I may touch his garment I shall be whole”.
What are you saying within yourself? What is your focus of heart? Of words?
Mark 6:55-56 “that whole region”, whenever he entered into the villages and cities …”
· Miracle flourish in an atmosphere where people are united – one heart.
· Psalm 133:3 “…for there the Lord commanded the blessing”.
· Discord – one of the greatest hinderness to an atmosphere filled with miracles.
· Unity => Working to remove unresolved offences.
=> Agreeing to yield to direction and leadership of the Holy Spirit.
· Acts 2:1 “One accord in one place … suddenly there came a noise from heaven”.
· 2 Chronicles 5:13-14 “… as one, to make one sound … the house was filled with a cloud”.
· Miracles flourish in an atmosphere were people speak and act boldly.
· Mark 6:56 “…they laid the sick out in the streets”.
· Timidity is a spirit that fills the atmosphere with fear and quenches the Holy Spirit.
· God loves boldness – Go outside your comfort zone, ask for miracles.
· Mark 10:48-49 “.. he cried out all the more - - and Jesus stood still….”
The leper refused to be intimidated or silenced – he cried out boldly.
· Mark 2:5 “…he saw their faith”.
The men refused to be stopped – they tore a hole in the roof – boldly.
#6. Passionate Prayer:
Mark 6:50 “.. they besought him”.
· Passionate prayer coupled with fasting build an atmosphere for miracles.
· God honours prayer and fasting - with miracles.
· Apathy – a spirit that quenches miracles, can’t be bothered, too much effort.
· Matthew 17:21 – This kind only goes out by prayer and fasting.
#7. Believe for Miracles:
Mark 6:50 “…. Besought him that might touch him”.
· Miracles flourish in an atmosphere where people believe the Word of God.
· Unbelief is a spirit that quenches supernatural power of God. Mark 6:5
· Galatians 3:5 Miracles occur through the learning of faith.