Royal Priesthood #6
1 Peter 2:9 “ You are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation a peculiar people that you should show forth the promises of Him who called you - - “
· This is who we are now – we must learn to think like others and to act on what God says.
· “Priesthood” – entered the presence of God on behalf of the others. Exodus 28:29 (Name on heart) Exodus 28:72
· “Royal” = kingly by nature, by birth – destiny to rule, exert dominion.
· Come into the presence of God:
(a) Intimacy - * Worship
(Come as a Child to the Father)
(b) Commission – * Apostolic Commission
* Governmental Prayer
(Come as Ambassador of King)
· Isaiah 6:1-8 “Whom shall I send – who will go for us”
2. We are Ambassadors of Christ:
2 Corinthians 5:20 - Now then we are ambassadors for Christ.
· Ambassador = a representative of a sovereign state.
- stands up before the king to receive directives.
- sent by the King – commissioned to speak on his behalf.
- given a special status in the country he is sent to.
- comes with authority to speak and act on behalf of the King. (not own interest)
- resourced by that King to get the job done.
· Every believer is an ambassador of the Kingdom of Heaven.
· Called to act on behalf of the King to act in his name.
· Called to advance the interests of the King (not advance own interests)
· Eventually will be recalled to own country of citizenship – heaven (Philippians 3:20)
3. We have an Apostolic Commission:
Matthew 28:18-20 The great commission – not the great suggestion.
· Go = take initiative – act as a representative.
· Make disciples = God calls us to go (as a sent one) and to build.
· Apostolic = root word = 649 = Apostello = to order, to go to a place appointed.
· Apostolic = person sent with things intended for someone else. (Mark 3:5)
= place of sending is specific. (Matthew 15:24)
= purpose of sending is specific. (Mark 3:14-15)
= Son = “Ben” = builder of the house.
· Apostolic Mentality = planning how to build, leave a legacy,
Build = new foundation, something is constructed, established, build pattern.
Bless = people get touched and benefit from God’s goodness.
Genesis 13:3-4 Bethal = House of God, Ai = heap stone.
NB. Major difference blessing and building!!!
· Church mentality needs to become apostolic.
= “Send to build”
Characteristics of Apostolic People:
· Luke 10:1-2 After these things Jesus appointed another 70 also.
· Appoint = 322 = to lift something on high, exhibit it to behold.
= to disclose what was hidden.
= to upgrade to a new level or position spiritually.
· These were not apostles but were sent by the same mandate.
· Big difference between “Sent” – commissioned, acting on behalf of another and “Went” - self initiated, acting on own initiative.
· 70 = number of spiritual significance = perfection of the purpose of God.
= The whole Church moving with an apostolic spirit and mentality.
Eg. Numbers 11:25
Eg. 1 Samuel 19-20
Eg. Team Indonesia
· Note the Characteristics:
(1) Spiritual Upgrade: (v2) Apostolic Breakthrough Anointing,
· Carrying a new level of anointing and authority.
· Apostolic anointing is for breakthroughs and anointing.
· These “sent” with connection to apostle carry the same anointing.
(2) Team Work: (v2)
· Went 2x2 into the region – Power of Partnership and Agreement.
· Problem in West / Church is individualism in expense of corporate responsibility.
· Not about me, my ministry, what I did for Christ.
· Apostolic mentality is about building a strong local church.
· We must learn how to work and function as a team, body.
· NB. Ephesians 2:20-22 Build it together.
Jude 6:14-16 * Go – I have sent * - “One man”
(3) Send to a Region:
· Apostolic = “to send”
= send by someone to same place for something!
· Apostolic mandate is given by God - He defines Where!
· Note: Apostles from America coming to N.Z. – no great miracle.
· Is your mentality “sent” or “went” in relation to your job and community?
· Paul – sent to gentiles; Peter sent to Jews.
· Call of God on Bay City: Sent to Hawke’s Bay.
Sent to Nations.
· You must endure difficulties and breakthrough – do not go to “greener grass”.
(4) Send for a Purpose: (v 3)
· The harvest is great but the labourers are few.
· The purpose is to ‘make disciples’ – teach obedience to Christ.
· This requires breaking through governing spiritual powers, requires changing mentalities and lifestyles of people.
· Disciples were sent to make strategic attachments on the on the demonic structures in the region in preparation for Jesus’ coming.
· v17-19 Disciples successfully confronted demonic spirits and saw lives dramatically changed. (Matthew 12:28)
NB: Deliverance is a manifestation of the Kingdom of Christ.
Whom shall I send? – Who will go for us?
(5 ) Send as Representatives - Delegates:
· Authority they carried was delegated – given – they were connected/ joined to Jesus and His mission/cause connected.
· The authority comes from the one who sent – represented him - Submitted.
· Sent: Not only by Christ the head – also sent by Church headship – Apostolic Leadership.
- Connected to leadership and Missions.