21 September 2003
Motivation for a Lifetime #2
Ephesians 2:8-10 “By Grace are you saved thru faith – not of works”.
We are His workmanship created .. - unto good works.
· Your believe determines your destination – where you will spend eternity.
i) Your are saved from eternal judgment by faith.
ii) Not one work you do contributes to this salvation – it is a free gift.
iii) Personal faith in Christ and His work + results in personal salvation.
· Your behavior (works) determines your Reward – How you will spend eternity.
i) God's purpose for your life is that you accomplish worthwhile works.
ii) God has planned unique works for you to accomplish – Advanced Kingdom.
iii) This is a walk – a lifestyle of work on behalf of Christ.
iv) Matthew 16:27 “Christ will Reward everyman according to his work of service”.
v) What you do now – your works determine your reward.
· Titus 3:5 Affirm constantly that they which have believed in God (Christ) be careful to maintain good works – profitable => heap up .
2. God is a Rewarder :
a) Jesus council to the Pharisee
Luke 14:12-14 Jesus explain how to obtain eternal reward in Heaven.
· Advice – Invite people who are unable to repay you.
· ie. Do activities that benefit people who cannot repay you.
· Result: * You will be repaid by God.
* That payment is after you are dead.
* You will be blessed.
· There is a reward obtained in eternity that lasts for eternity.
· Recomperse = 467 to give back in return for something done.
b) Moses was moivated by Reward
· Hebrews 11:24-27 – he had respect for the recompense of the reward.
· Respect = 578 = apoblepõ = to look away from everything else, intently regard.
· Recompersed reward = 3406 = misthapodotace – 2 words together.
Misthos = wages, pay given as result of work done.
Apodidomai = to give back in return, recompence for something done.
· By faith – Moses trusted in the character and word of God
Hebrews 11:6 God is a rewarder 3406 – one who gives wages in return for activities done to advance His kingdom.
· Moses: * Refused to identify with Egypt, it's values & lifestyle.
* Chose to identify with the purpose & people of God.
* Rejected temporary riches in favor of eternal riches.
* Endured difficulty because motivated by eternity.
3. God Rewards your Work not your intention:
a) All believers must appear before Christ for judgment.
Romans 14:10 We shall all stand before the judgment seat of Christ.
We shall all give account to what we have done.
· Judgment seat = “Bema” = step, = raised place or platform reached by steps.
= Place of justice, authority, reward.
· The issue for a Christian is not Salvation – it is Reward!
· 2 Corinthians 5:10 “Must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ”.
· Everyone => every believer, every follower of Jesus Christ.
· Every believer will give account of works – what did you do?
· Every believer will receive based on how entitled to receive.
b) Every believer will receive a reward according to his labor.
1 Corinthians 3:8
· Reward = 3409 = Misthos = pay given because work done, entitled to the person.
· Labor = 2873 = Kapos = toil that results in weariness because of it's demanding and difficult nature.
· This refers to work done in partnership and relationship with God that is focused upon extending His kingdom and interests.
· God expects every believer to contribute to the building up of people.
· This work of building believers is a “labor” - demanding and difficult.
· God will examine and reward what every believer has built.
4. Every believer's Work must be Tested – Does it qualify for a Reward?
1 Corinthians 3:13-15 Reward – or Suffer Loss
· Every mans work will be i) “Made manifest”- brought out in the open.
ii) Put to the test – what sort it is .
· Revealed = 601 = to take of the cover, disclose,
· “Gold Standard” applied - what is the core value of this work.
· 3 Fold test:
i) Test of Relationship:
· Are these activities/work s birthed out of relationship & obedience,
· John 15:5 - Abide in Me`, bring forth much fruit.
· Matthew 7:22 Workers of iniquity => act independent, “without law”
“never knew “ => never had intimate relationship that brought forth approval.
ii) Test of Motive:
· Matthew 6:1-2 - works done to be “seen by men” = gain personal advantage.
· Why were these things done? Honor Christ? Gain approval?
iii) Test love:
· 1 Corinthians 13:3 - without love – profits me nothing!
· Love => acting without being selfish for best interests of others.
· Consequence: suffer loss (of reward) – gain reward – all eternity! Revelation 22!