9 November 2003 1 Keys to Producing Fruit #3
Fruitful in Christ
Keys to Producing Fruit #3
Fruitful in Christ
· Every believer is a full time servant of God called to be fruitful, productive.
John 15:16 “I have chosen you and ordained you that you should go and bring forth fruit”.
· “Ordained” = 5087 = to appoint, commission, set in place.
· Fruit = (i) Fruit of the Spirit – godly character & spiritual maturity. (Galatians 5:22)
= (ii) Advance the Kingdom of God – make disciples of Jesus Christ. (Matt 28:19)
· John 15:1-8 Three levels: a) No fruit - frustrates the purpose of God.
b) Fruit - pruned so you can be more fruitful.
c) Much fruit - this is what brings glory to God.
2. What doe it mean to abide?
John 15:5 “He that abides in Me and I in him, the same brings forth much fruit.”
· “Abide” = 3306 = to make a permanent place of living.
to stay in a given place or relationship, to stand.
· The branch draws it's live from the vine - the vine is its source.
· To draw from the source, it must remain attached to it.
· Eg. Branch cut from tree – may still bud but it is dead/cut off.
Eg. Adam – in the day you eat of the forbidden fruit you die. (separated)
· Remain in Christ => Jesus must be the centre and source of life.
· Difference between position and walk:
Position = Fixed, unchanging, permanent legal stand.
Walk = Varies, result of how live daily life, how relate.
Eg. Marriage: Position = Married, legal standing does not depend on feelings.
: Relationship = varies depending on a number of factors.
Quality of marriage and fruit of relationship depends on how daily relate.
· The Devil will constantly accuse you concerning your relationship with Christ.
· Must guard your daily relationship with Christ.
3. How to abide in Christ?
a) Consistent connection. (John 15:5)
· “Abide” = to make permanent place of living.
· Don't have to be special, just need to remain depended on the Lord.
· Make Jesus the centre of life – don't just come when you need help! Or have a problem
- it separates.
· Promptly repent of any sin. (1 John 3:6)
· Continually express value and gratitude (Romans 1:21)
· Maintain consistent devotional life. (Matthew 4:4)
· Maintain fellowship with believers. (Psalm 92:13-14)
b) Draw upon the life of Christ.
· The branch bears fruit as it draws the life of the tree.
· Live with simple trust and depending on the Lord.(Proverbs 3:5) Trust! Let Go CONTROL!
· Live with expectancy for God to act on His word. (Mark 11:23)
· Deal with selfishness and idolatry in life.
* Big ego – prevents you drawing on life in Christ.
* People preoccupied with self don't bear good fruit.(Matthew 25:25)
9 November 2003 2 Keys to producing Fruit #3
Fruitful in Christ
· Idol = can be physical – something created.
= can be mental – what you trust in, put before God.
eg. My thoughts, my ideas, my culture, my opinion.
= whatever put trust in, and fix heart on, that draws you away from God.
· NB Leviticus 26:3-4 “walk in obedience with God – fruitful.
verse 20 Idolatry => not increase – not fruitful. ( eg. Fiji)
c) Focus on purpose.
· Ephesians 2;10 'You are created in Christ Jesus unto good works.
· Drawing on life of Christ occurs best when life is engaged in serving and fulfilling
purpose of Christ – abide in Christ => abide in His purpose/will.
· Not called to sit in little church club, counseling each other, prophesying over each other,
delving into deep revelation that makes you irrelevant to society – called to bear fruit!
- not a puddle, a river!
i) You are designed to be fruitful.
· Genesis 1:26 God's first words to man – “Be Fruitful”.
You are made in the image of God to be fruitful.
· I am not a consumer! I am a Producer!
· I am a person of increase – My purpose is to increase/glorify God!
· The Spirit of faith and increase rests on me!
· The blessing of Abraham rests on me – increase! (Genesis 12:2, Galatians 3:14)
ii) Focus on increase.
· 2 Corinthians 10:13 “Every person has a 'metron' an area of influence a 'field'
You have a field to sow, water, produce increase.
· “Revival thinking” - people think meetings, more of God, pray harder.
- no revival =. pray harder; not time! Not my fault!
· “Increase thinking” dig , plant, water, protect, persevere for harvest.
Think of how you can increase not think “One day there will be a Revival”
· Increase => Out of one comes two!; increase knowledge, anointing, skill, influence.
Key questions: What can I accomplish?
How can I increase?
How can I transfer what I have?
Key Scripture: “I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in me and I in him, bears much fruit for without Me you can do nothing.” (John 15:5)
Aim: To understand what it means to abide and how to abide in Christ consistently.
1. What does it mean to abide in Christ?
What do you do to maintain a consistent connection with God?
What challenges do you face?
2. Look at Sections 3(a) and (b) on page one of the notes.
Which of these are present in your life?
Which area/s do you need to grow in? How will you do this?
3. Drawing on the life of Christ occurs best when we are engaged in serving and fulfilling the purpose of Christ.
How can you increase your influence on those around you?
How can you transfer to others what you have?