26 October 2003 1 Keys to Producing Fruit #1
Keys to Producing Fruit #1
Luke 19:13 - He called His 10 servants & delivered to them 10 pounds and said unto them:
“Occupy till I come”
· Every believer is a full time servant of the Lord entrusted with gifts/reserves.
· (v 13) “Occupy” = 4231 = To trade, to busy oneself, to repeatedly perform action.
· Christ's clear commandment is that each believer is productive in extending His Kingdom.
· (v 15) “How much every man had gained by trading”.
· “Trading” implies * Initiative * Effort * Risk * Perseverance.
· Every believer is expected to be fruitful, productive and will be rewarded for it.
· John 15:16 – “Chosen you ...... go and bring forth fruit & that fruit should remain”.
It is part of God's design & purpose that each believer be fruitful/productive.
When a fruit tree does not bear fruit – something is wrong!
2. Fruit is the expression of Health and Life:
a) The Fruit reveals the Root – Matthew 12:33 “....a tree is known by his fruit”:
· People tend to blame others or circumstances for what is happening in their life.
· You bring forth of what is within you:
Eg: Rejection; Bitterness; Hate; Contention; Strife
If these are continually present around you they probably reflect what is operating
within you ie. a fruit!
· (v 35) Treasure = accumulation of things you value, hold onto.
= thoughts, beliefs, attitudes you draw from as you face life.
· Circumstances do not control you – what is in you heart does.
· Heart of man => soul, spirit.
· Change what is happening within you, then what is happening around you will change
· God's way of changing people is to change the heart of man.
· John 3:3 - You must be born again – born by the Spirit of God.
· It is the Spirit of God within a man that enables change to occur.
b) Two Kinds of Fruit God looks for:
i) Internal – Development of a Godly Character. Ephesians 2:10 – “His workmanship”
· Galatians 5:22 “Now the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, long suffering,
gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance.
· These are fruit of the indwelling Holy Spirit.
· These are expressions of His life and native.
· These have a internal source – they come of yielding to obey the Holy Spirit.
26 October 2003 2 Keys to Producing Fruit #1
ii) External – Good Works. Ephesians 2:10
· Titus 3:14 “And let ours also learn to maintain good works, to meet urgent
needs, that they may not be unfruitful.
· Galatians 6:10 “As we have opportunity let us do good to all men, especially
unto them who are of the household of faith.
· Believers who are not active in serving are unfruitful/unproductive.
· Good works => (a) Acts of Kindness
(b) Generosity – giving
(c) Serving people
(d) Sharing the Gospel
(e) Meeting needs
· These are the overflow of an abundant inner life.
3. The Word of God is essential to Fruit bearing:
Mark 4: Parable of the sower and the Seed.
· Everything that is a seed has potential to bring forth fruit.
· Everything God does is by sowing seed – word of God.
· (v 14) The Seed = Word of God.
The Soil = The heart of man (soul & spirit).
· 100 Fold harvest = the best possible harvest that could be obtained in those circumstances.
· 3 Keys to bringing forth fruit:
(1)Recognize opposition and overcome it:
a) Satan - demonic spirits come immediately to take away the seed.
- write down what God has said so that you don't forget it.
b) World - pressures arise eg. Affliction, persecution on you.
Obey the word of God.
- Meditate on the word and hold onto it in your heart.
c) Flesh - distractions enter in, cares, financial concern, lusts.
- keep life focused and single minded.
(2)Be filled and led by the Holy Spirit:
· (v21) Candle – Jesus talks about the candle – this is not another teaching
but part of the same teaching on being fruitful.
· Proverbs 20:27 'The spirit of man is the candle of the Lord.
· To harvest you must have a spirit filled, spirit directed life.
· Your spirit life must not be hidden but in a place of leadership.
· Candlestick is an elevated place, not concealed and gives light.
· Strong prayer life – respond to promptings and leadings of the Holy Spirit.
(3)Use what you have:
· (v 23-25) How you apply what God has entrusted determines if you going
to get more.
· eg. Exodus 4:2 “What is that you have your hand?” eg. 2 Kings 4:2 eg. John 6:9
· Apply what you have and expect more.