23 November 2003 1 Keys to Producing Fruit #4
Abiding in God's Word
Keys to Producing Fruit #4
Abiding in God's Word
John 15:1-8 “Abide in Me and my words abide in you”.
· Clear will & purpose of God is that every believer be fruitful; productive.
· “Much fruit” => God is honored.
=> Evidence you are a disciple – fully committed follower of Christ.
· 3 Levels of Fruit bearing:
i) No Fruit => He lifts up, positions to bear fruit.
ii) Fruit => He prunes to produce more fruit.
iii) Much fruit => He is honored by our life.
· “Not Abide” => Cast forth and withered = 3584 = to shrivel, dry out, lose vitality.
2. Abiding = Key to Fruit bearing:
John 15:7 “If you abide in me and my words abide in you, you shall ask what you will and it shall be done unto you”.
· Abide = 3306 = to remain, continue, endure in a place or relationship.
· Abide in Christ =>
(i) Maintain vital personal relationship with Jesus Christ - the head.
- Prompt confession of sin.
- Daily prayer – worship – intimacy.
(ii) Maintain vital relationship with local church – Body of Christ.
- Cannot be a fruit bearer with “Jesus & me” only mindset.
- Acts 9:4 “Why persecute Me?” Christ identifies with His body.
- Local church is the body of Christ – household of God.
- Broken relationship/ sin/ offenses hinder fruit. (1 Corinthians 11:29-30)
- Psalm 92:13-14 “Those that be planted in the house of the Lord shall flourish in the
courts of God, they shall still bring forth fruit in old age, they shall be fat & flourishing.
· ”Flourish” = 6524 = to break forth as a bud, bloom, blossom.
· Fat and flourishing = rich, fertile and green, prosperous.
- God plants you in a local church to provide an environment to bring forth fruit – teaching – anointing – correction.
· The key part of the Devil's strategy is to destroy your potential:
i) Disconnect you from Christ.
ii) Disconnect you from local church relationships.
23 November 2003 2 Keys to Producing fruit #4
Abiding in Gods Word
3. Abiding in the Word of God.
· Note the two conditions for fruit bearing:
(i) Abiding in Christ. (ii) Words of Christ abides in you.
a) Your attitude to the Word of God is your attitude to God Himself.
· 2 Samuel 12:10-12 “Despise the Word = despise God”.
- You cannot separate the two. God's word expresses who He is.
- Reject the word => Reject Him.
· Luke 6:46 “Why call me Lord Lord and do not what I say:
- Acknowledge the King => obey the Kings directions.
- Born into a kingdom to submit to a king and his word.
- “Kingdom of God” not the “democracy of God”.
b) There is contention over the Word of God.
· Genesis 3:1 “Did God say?”
- The serpents strategy was to sow doubt about God's Word & Character.
- By rejecting 'word' – Adam rejected God's authority & sin entered.
- Receiving & responding to the Word of God was His key to living.
· Luke 8:12 “The Devil comes and takes away the word sown in heart.
- This is the key parable – tells how fruit bearing occurs.
- The Word is a seed that produces fruit.
- There is contention over the word: Birds-Sun-Thorn.
- v15 “Man who hears the word and keeps it brings forth fruit!”
c) God's Word is the Channel of His life and Power:
· 1 Thessalonians 2:13 “--- word of God that works effectively in you who believe”.
- Word must be received, embraced, believed & acted upon.
- Faith causes the Word of God to come alive and produce a result.
- Nothing is impossible to Him that believes. (Mark 9:23)
- Hebrews 4:2 “The Word of God does not benefit if not joined to it by faith”.
d) How to let the word of God Abide in you:
(i) Hear the Word. Proverbs 4:20
· Be attentive & focus on what God says.
(ii) Meditate on the Word. Psalm 1:2
· Delight yourself in what God has to say and be repeatedly connected.
(iii) Confess the Word. Hebrews 10:23
· Confess = to say the same thing on, speak out as God spoke.
· Learn by heart = to learn by mouth.
(iv) Obey the Word. John 7:22-25
Key Scripture: “If you abide in Me and My words abide in you, you will ask what you desire and it shall be done for you.” (John 15:7)
Aim: To understand how to let the Word of God abide in you.
1. Share a time when you found it enjoyable and easy to read the Bible. How did your life change during that time?
2. Look at Luke 6:46. We have been born into a Kingdom to submit to a King and His Word.
What does it mean to submit to the Word of God?
What challenges do you face in aligning your life with the Word of God?
What can you do to overcome these?
3. Look on page two of the notes at the keys to letting the Word of God abide in you.
How would you explain to a new Christian what these things mean?
Which of these do you need to grow in?
What will you do to grow in this area?