· What is God like? People try to make God in their image, their thinking.
· Isaiah 55:9 “As heavens are higher than earth – so My ways higher than your ways.”
· God makes Himself known:
(i) By His ways – what He does
(ii) By person of Jesus Christ
· In this series:
(i) God is Holy – Isaiah 57:15 “Who inhabits eternity, whose name is holy.”
(ii) God is Love – 1 John 4:8 “He that loves not, knows not God for God is love.”
(iii) God is Powerful – Genesis 17:1 “I am Almighty God.”
· Leviticus 19:2 “… say to them, you shall be holy, for I the Lord your God am holy.”
· “Holy” (6918 Strongs) = to be clean, undefiled, pure.
· “Holy” (40 Strongs) = to be pure, totally separated from sin.
· God’s holiness exposes the condition of every person like a light shines in dark.
· Isaiah 6:3-5 “Holy, holy is the Lord … I am a man of unclean lips.”
· Until you have a standard to measure by, cannot determine true size.
· Holiness of God is the standard – conditions of Isaiah and people revealed.
· When God manifests His presence and holiness, the true condition is exposed.
· Ephesians 5:5-7 “… nor unclean person, nor covetous man, who is an idolater, has any inheritance in the Kingdom of Christ and of God. Let no man deceive you with vain words, for because of these things comes the wrath of God upon the children of disobedience.”
· Because God is holy no unclean person can approach Him.
· Because God is holy He brings judgement upon sin.
(i) Divine laws
· God has set forth standards for conduct and consequences for sin.
· Natural and spirit realm all operate according to Gods laws.
· Romans 3:18-23 “For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God.”
· Every person born into world, born in sin, falls short of God’s standards.
· Romans 6:23 “Wages of sin is death.” Separation and eternal loss.
(ii) Destructive consequences of sin
· Galatians 6:7 “Be not deceived; God is not mocked, for whatsoever a man sows, that also shall he reap.”
· “Deception” (4105 Strongs) = seduced, go astray, wander off course.
· People think they can sin and get away with it. Ecclesiastes 8:11
· God has set in place laws of sowing and reaping – you reap what you sow.
· Sin’s destructive consequences are like weeds left unattended in garden.
(iii) Dominion of evil spirits
· Evil spirit beings, seek to torment and destroy peoples life, relationships and destiny.
· Evil spirits are authorised to operate in areas of darkness and sin.
· Ephesians 4:27 “Neither give place to the devil.”
· “Place” (5117 Strongs) = foothold, legal ground, opportunity.
· Evil spirits seek opportunity to enter people – Gods laws broken Ţ enter.
1 Samuel 16:14 – Saul – an evil spirit troubled him.
John 13:27 – Judas – Satan entered into him.
(iv) Discipline by God
· Hebrews 12:6-11 “For whom the Lord loves He disciplines.”
· God is a Father – He desires to train His children.
· God works in your life to discipline you so you can be holy (vs10).
· Discipline is painful (vs11) – but its focus is your growth, Psalm 39:11.
· God disciplines through: Painful consequences; exposure; removal of blessing; removal from function; confrontation by people.
· God disciplines to bring growth in holiness.
(v) Direct judgement by God
a) Supernatural intervention
· Noah and the flood Genesis 6-7
· Sodom and Gomorrah Genesis 19
· Nadab and Abihu Leviticus 10:1-2
· Korah and rebels Numbers 16:32
· Israel in the wilderness Numbers 14:34
· Uzziah 2 Chronicles 26:19
· Ananias and Sapphira Acts 5:1-5
· Herod Acts 12:23
· Elymas Acts 13:11
· Jerusalem 70AD
· Future judgement 2 Peter 3:7
b) Cross of Jesus Christ
· Matthew 27:45-53 “… there was a darkness over all the land … My God, why have You forsaken Me? …”
· Jesus took our sin and became representative – judged.
c) External judgement
· Revelation 20:11-15 “And whosoever was not found in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.”
· Eternal separation and pain to all who reject God.
d) Believers judgement – reward or loss
· 2 Corinthians 5:10 “We must all appear before the judgement seat of Christ; that every one may receive the things done ...”
· Believers are rewarded for faithful service or suffer loss.
· 2 Peter 3:11