THE FATHER’S BLESSING
1 God wants to restore families
· God is a Father – nature of family originates from nature of God – Father.
· Ephesians 3:14-15 “For this cause I bow my knees unto the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, of whom the whole family in heaven and earth is named.”
· God’s desire has always been to raise family, share His creation with.
· Malachi 4:5-6 Promise for the last days – yet to be fulfilled.
Genesis 27:34-35; 42 Jacob and Esau
· Esau lost his father’s blessing (empowerment to prosper, go forward).
· Result = grief, sorrow, bitterness, deep sense injustice.
· Triggered hatred of his brother, superficial relationship, purpose to kill.
· Conflict and division within the family was triggered by loss of fathers blessing.
Luke 3:21-22 Jesus received the Fathers blessing and walked in it.
i) Identity: “My Son” Ž Belonging – God acknowledges relationship
· Key Issue: Who am I? Children take a Fathers name, identity.
· Transition from child to man involves discovery identity.
ii) Value and honour: “Beloved Son”
· Key Issue: Am I loved; am I worth anything?
· When child loved, valued, can focus away from self or others.
iii) Affirmation: “ Well Pleased”
· Key Issue: Dad, what do you think of me? Accept me? Proud of me? Believe in me?
· When child affirmed their esteem grows, security – words!
iv) Touch: Holy Spirit descended upon Him
· Key Issue: Can I get close to dad? Am I special to him?
· When child touched, hugged, then feel connected, accepted.
v) Prophetic Direction: “Works Father gave Me” John 17:4
· Key Issue: What should I do with my life? Purpose? Direction?
· Because Jesus received and walked in Fathers blessing He was secure, had purpose, could stand alone, could focus on serving.
· (John 13:3-4) Jesus had no concern for His own position and promotion.
John 14:18 I will not leave you comfortless – I will come to you.
· “Comfortless” = without parents, an orphan, abandoned by Father.
· Jesus promised to continue fathering the disciples by Holy Spirit.
· He promised the person of the Holy Spirit.
· “Another” = one of the same kind, identical, just like Jesus.
· John 1:12 To as many as received Jesus Christ – believed on His name
· Ž Identity (1 John 3:1); Value; Affirmation; Touch; Prophetic Direction
Galatians 3:13-14 Christ redeemed us from curse … so blessing of Father.
· Blessing of the Father comes when receive Holy Spirit.
· Jesus represented us, was our substitute – carried the curse and penalty.
· Curse: - rejected by Father ] sin
- shameful death ] and its
- despised and hated ] consequences
· You enter the blessing of God by faith.
· You continue in the blessing of God by obedience.
i) Receive Jesus Christ as Saviour and turn from sin
· Acts 3:26
ii) Release bitterness of the past
· Forgive father and mother.
· Renounce bitter judgements.
iii) Commit to fulfilling the Father’s purpose
· John 2:16-17 Jesus had zeal for Father’s house.
· House Ž household, extended family and its affairs.
· Son = “Ben” = to build the Fathers house.
· Example: Build relationship with God
Build strong family relationships
Build the local church (household of God – 1 Timothy 3:15)
· Difference between restaurant and family is responsibility and relationship.
· Not “McChurch”, but Family of God.
· Family Ž Relationships and responsibilities; order; training; inheritance.
· Refusal to let God be Father/discipline Ž loss of inheritance. Hebrews 12:6
1. How would you describe your father?
2. What do you appreciate most about your father?
21 When all the people were baptised, it came to pass that Jesus also was baptised; and while He prayed, the heaven was opened.22 And the Holy Spirit descended in bodily form like a dove upon Him, and a voice came from heaven which said, “You are My beloved Son; in You I am well pleased.”
The Father’s blessing imparts:
· Identity My Son
· Value Beloved
· Affirmation Well pleased
· Touch Holy Spirit descended upon
· Prophetic Destiny John 17:4
1. Which part of the Father’s blessing is most significant to you at this point in your life?
2. As God’s children, He gives us the role of building the family name (ie Christian). What can you do to build the family name?
3. Is there anything that you need to adjust in the way you are living that is damaging the family name?