· “Kingdom” = reign of king – where his word and will are established.
· ̃ order, authority, rank. Laws of kingdom not subject to vote/opinion.
· ̃ word of king is obeyed. Not a democracy.
· God shall set up ̃ purpose of God is to establish His rule.
Matthew 4:17 Jesus: Repent for the kingdom of God is at hand.
· ̃ conflict exists – resistance exists to the rule of God.
· ̃ opposition exists in world to God’s reign and purposes being established.
· ̃ to experience kingdom blessings we must make changes.
· Repent ̃ realign life where it is opposed to Word of God.
· To experience blessing benefits, must make change to thoughts, to attitudes, to values.
Daniel 10:12-13 Daniel experiences reality of conflict in unseen spirit world.
· Revelation of “Prince of kingdom of Persia” – unseen spirit being.
· Existence of unseen spirit world around us – opposed to kingdom of God.
· Opposition is continued and intense, involves conflict in spirit being.
2 Corinthians 12:2 Paul caught up to third heaven – realm of God resides.
· If there is third heaven – must be a first and second heaven.
· First heaven is the physical heaven – natural world (Psalm 19:1).
· Second heaven is the unseen spirit realm around us.
· “Prince” (758 Strongs) = first in rank or power.
· “Power” (1849 Strongs) = delegated authority, jurisdiction.
· “Air” (109 Strongs) = air people breath, atmosphere.
· Evil spirit beings operate from spirit world influencing people.
· “Worketh” (1756 Strongs) = to be active, energised, work effectually.
· Key that allows Satan to operate and extend his influences.
· “Disobedience” (545 Strongs) = resistant, unpersuadable, rebellious.
· ̃ obstinate rejection of the will of God.
· ̃ distrust of God resulting in resistance to His order.
· Wicked spirit beings seek out people to control or indwell.
· Lucifer was a created being. Ezekiel 28:13 Jesus the creator (Colossians 1:16).
· vs 15 “Iniquity” = to distort, corrupt.
· ̃ another will (Isaiah 14:12-14).
· Sin first existed in heart of Lucifer ̃ cast out of heaven, became Satan – ‘accuser’.
· Satan and evil spirit beings under his control exist in invisible realm, second heaven.
· Evil spirits seek to influence/control/indwell people to express evil.
· They have:
Devices (2 Corinthians 2:11) ̃ covert operation, scheme, plan.
Wiles (Ephesians 6:11) ̃ trickery, methods to walk over people.
Romans 5:12 For by one man sin entered the world and death by sin.
· Sin and evil had to come from somewhere – came from Satan ̃ entered world.
· World ̃ people, mankind.
Genesis 2:15-17 God’s mandate to Adam.
· Adam given free will ̃ evidence of God’s love and desire for relationship
· You cannot force someone to love you, they must choose to.
· Choice ̃ free will ̃ responsible for choice and for outcome.
What is sin?
1 John 3:4 “… sin is the transgression of the law” ie lawlessness.
· “Lawlessness” = refusal to submit to the authority and laws of God.
· “Sin” = rejection of the will and word of God and substitution of selfwill.
How did it enter?
· Serpent ignored the generosity and provision of God, focused on exception.
· He attacked the character of God – accused Him of withholding.
· By making God appear unjust and unfair the serpent could attack His authority.
· Serpent destroyed foundation of loyalty and obedience by contradicting God’s word.
(i) God is not to be trusted – withholding (vs5).
(ii) No consequence for sin, exerting own will (vs4).
(iii) Become wise, powerful, in charge – like God (vs5,6).
· Character and authority of God eroded by deception.
· Note entrance: guilt, shame, fear, unbelief, accusation, blame shifting. (Genesis 4) jealousy, bitterness, resentment, hatred, violence, murder.
· Sin entered – spirits entered and expressed themselves.
John 8:34-36 Whosoever commits sin is the servant of sin.
· Sin gives legal right for evil spirits to express themselves.
· Whenever we reject will and word of God and assert own will ̃ spirits are empowered.
· Whenever will and word of God is done – Holy Spirit is empowered to move.
· To overcome evil spirits and release God’s provision, must overcome sin.
· At cross: Jesus disempowered spirits by His obedience to death.
· Now He has all authority over heaven and earth.
Matthew 4:17 Repent, the kingdom of God is at hand.
· Acknowledge and give allegiance to King Jesus.
Matthew 7:21 Do the will of God – obedience.
1 What is the setting of the chapter?
2 What does it mean in verse 2 when it says that Daniel “mourned”?
3 How does the messenger in the vision describe what Daniel was doing?
4 What experiences have you had with fasting?
5 How long did it take for Daniel to get an answer to his prayer?
6 What resisted the answer to Daniels prayer?
7 What area in your life do you desperately want a breakthrough?
8 What can you learn from Daniel in getting a breakthrough in your life?