Luke 1:28-30 “You have found favour with God.”
· Mary’s life is transformed – lifted to a new level of experience – found favour.
· Favour - NT (5485 Strongs) – charis =grace, divine power, influence upon life.
· Favour – OT (2580 Strongs) = grace/to look kindly upon – have an unused advantage.
· Favour with God = power and presence of God acting on your behalf to give you an advantage in life so the will and purpose of God can be accomplished through you.
· Mary “found favour”: Found does not mean just happened, ‘luck’.
· Found (2147 Strongs) = to find by search, to obtain something sought after.
· The favour of God resting upon a person’s life results in dramatic changes.
(i) Favour – means coming to a new level of relationship
· Example: John 15:15-16 No longer call you servants – friends.
· Jesus lifted disciples to new level – promoted.
· Formerly treated as servants – now as friends, new level relationship/revelation.
· Result – revelation; fruitfulness – whenever pray will get results.
· No longer uncertainty or struggle – become productive, fruitful.
· Song of Solomon 8:5,10 Something changed.
· In moment went from wilderness experience to one of favour with God.
· New level of relationship.
(ii) Favour of God means favour with men
· Genesis 32:23-28 I will not let you go unless you bless me.
· Jacob – tend to think of him as cheat – manipulator.
· God’s view: Malachi 1:2-3 Jacob have I loved, Esau have I hated.
· Why? Jacob hungry for favour of God – Esau despised it (Genesis 25:34).
· Despised = to hold a low opinion of, think of little value.
· Jacob returning – facing possible death because of cheating his brother.
· Came to end of old ways of trying to get ahead by scheming.
· Desired favour with God – wrestled, contended Þ prayer, pain.
· Changed – transformed by encountering God – prevailed also with brother.
(iii) Favour of God releases resources
· Exodus 3:21 “I will give this people favour in the sight of the Egyptians.”
· Favour – people of God received 400 years of back pay.
· Change from poverty/slavery to freedom/resources overnight.
· Favour of God manifested suddenly – took time to encounter.
(iv) Favour of God gives victory over enemy
· Psalm 41:11 “By this shall I know found favour, because my enemy does not triumph over me.”
· Enemy (341 Strongs) = adversary, one who hates or is hostile, Satan.
· God helps you arise and overcome every attack of the enemy on you.
· Psalm 118:6 “Lord is on my side, I will not fear.”
· Example: Accidents happen but left untouched, not hurt.
· When devil comes against you – comes against God.
(v) Favour of God gives unusual bargaining power with God
· Example: Genesis 18:3 Abraham – “If I have found favour with you.”
· Not a statement of unbelief or doubt but one of expectations.
· Talked boldly to God out of new position of favour.
· Asked for?
(1) Presence God to abide
(2) Salvation of city
· Example: Exodus 33:12-23 Moses – if I have found favour.
· Asked for?
(1) Presence of God to abide – God change his mind!
(2) Revelation of what God like – glory.
(3) Salvation for Israel – put life on line to protect nation when God judged them
Presence of God dwell on earth in a tent?
Heaven even can’t contain me – nevertheless did it!
All these men:
(1) Great passion for presence and ways of God
(2) Used position of favour to bless others
· Church must arise to new position of favour with God, so can intercede for city for people.
· Hunger for presence and ways of God – “entreated – with whole heart”.
· Meditated upon Word of God – “thought on your ways”.
· Altered his priorities, lifestyle – “turned my feet to your testimony”.
· Diligence in responding in obedience – “made haste, delayed not to obey”.