· God’s original design for man is to be fruitful – productive.
· God’s desire = family people in His own image likeness.
· Salvation – not about getting to heaven, it’s about becoming fruitful.
· “Chosen” Ž to select out of group.
· “Ordain” Ž to appoint, set apart for a purpose.
· Every believer has been chosen by God for a purpose.
2 What Does it Mean Bring Forth Fruit?
Galatians 5:22 “But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, long suffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance.”
· First work of the Holy Spirit in your life = change you to become like Christ.
· Holy Spirit given to change us.
Colossians 1:10 “That you might walk worthy of the Lord, unto all pleasing being fruitful in every good work, and increasing in knowledge of God.”
· Internal change results in external activities for God.
· Faith in Christ is demonstrated by being active serving Him.
· Active in building church (Body of Christ).
· Active in reaching lost for Christ (Extending Kingdom).
· Note: Something is wrong when a tree is not fruitful.
· Example: Orange tree – no oranges Ž something is wrong.
· Example: Christian not growing, serving Ž something is wrong.
· Example: Orchardist will prune to get fruit then cut tree down.
· cf John 15:6 Abide not Ž Withered Ž Cast into fire.
· Romans 12:2 “Be not conformed to this world but be transformed.”
· “Conformed” (4914 Strongs) = to make something into same form as something else. To cast into mould so comes out the same externally.
· “World” (165 Strongs) = This age, this generation with its values and lifestyle.
· Warning not to be shaped so lifestyle, external is same as world.
i) Education ] All focus on:
ii) TV/Media ]
iii) Close association ] * Personal rights
iv) Family/culture ] * Self interest
v) Finances ]
· What influences shape your life? Conform? Compromise?
· Bear the image of Lord or image of world?
· Life formed by divine or demonic influence?
· Example: Parable of Sower: Devil; distress and distraction stop fruit.
i) Availability Ž yielded to, at disposal of
Romans 12:1 “Present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable.”
· Because God has demonstrated mercy, kindness.
· “Present” = To yield your body – means you express life.
· Ž Picture of Old Testament sacrifice made to thank, honour God.
· Ž Person picked the best of the flock – made free will offering.
· Ž Given to God to be used for his purposes.
· Ž Once person gave to God – no claim, no right to take back.
· Make self daily available to live for purpose and honour of God.
Romans 12:2 “… be transformed by the renewing of your mind.”
· “Transform” (3339 Strongs) = Metamorphis Ž change from caterpillar to butterfly.
· Total change in character and conduct.
· Change takes place as mind – thoughts renewed by Word of God.
· “Renew” = to renovate a house – gut it and rebuild.
· What exposure do you have to the Word? To the Holy Spirit? To others speaking into your life?
Luke 8:15 Good ground – honest and good heart, having heard the Word of God, keep it and bring forth fruit with patience.
· “Patience” (5281 Strongs) = to bear trials and pressure with positive attitude.
· Must learn how to stick with what God has entrusted until fruit.