· Purpose = the reason something exists; manufacturers original intent in making it.
· God is your source/manufacturer – only He knows why He gave you life and imparted unique gifts, talents, desires into you.
· One of the most important days in life – when enter relationship with God and recognise we have unique call and purpose of God in our lives to fulfil.
· 2 Tim 1:9-11 “He has saved us and called us with a holy calling not according to our own works but according to His own purpose and grace which was given us in Christ before the world began.”
· Purpose (4286 Strongs) = to set forth with a specific intention.
· Grace (5485 Strongs) = divine power; power given to fulfil the will of God.
· Key Questions:
* Who am I? * Where am I going? * What is the purpose of my existence?
* Why am I here? * Am I fulfilling that purpose?
· Judges 6 – When Gideon encountered God, he connected with his true identity and with his God-given purpose.
· God designed you to fulfil five basic purposes in life!
· When you embrace and do these things fulfilment comes into your being.
· God has designed you with a unique way of expressing these purposes.
(i) Express God’s Image
Gen 5:1-3 “… in the likeness of God created He him.”
· God created man in His own image and likeness.
· Man is a spirit being; a person; a relational being.
· You were made to express God’s nature – love (1 John 4:8).
· Expressing God’s nature has nothing to do with what look like.
· God wants you to mirror His character, His nature – love.
1 John 4:7-8 “… he that loves not does not know God. God is love.”
· Jesus fully represented the image of God (John 14:7).
· The nature of God flowed out to impact people. “Seen me = seen Father”.
· After fall of Adam – he produced in his own image – self centred.
· Each person needs encounter with God – born again – empowered to represent him.
Luke 6:31-35 “If you love them which love you – what grace is on you.”
· The grace of God empowers you to express His nature (vs35).
· Love – the nature of God is expressed by kindness to people.
(ii) Enjoy Intimate Relationship with God
Gen 3:9 “Adam, where are you?”
· God desired relationship, intimacy, fellowship with Adam.
· Any being that has relationship with God must be a spirit being (John 4:24).
· Separated from God – Adam covered or concealed himself and hid.
· Guilt, shame, fear cause people to hide from intimacy – lonely.
· Until your spirit reconnects with God’s spirit, you cannot experience companionship with God – only can know about Him.
· Fulfilling your purpose loving God and enjoying Him impossible unless Born Again.
· Luke 10:42 Intimacy and relationship with God is a personal choice. You must place priority on relationship before works.
(iii) Be Fruitful/Productive
Gen 1:28 “Be fruitful” (6509 Strongs) = bear fruit, grow, increase.
· Any person that owns a fruit tree expects it to be productive.
· God created you to be fruitful or productive in two ways:
a) Gal 5:22-23 – The fruit of the spirit
· The life and activity of God’s spirit within you produces fruit.
· Love, joy, peace, long suffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance.
b) Luke 19:15 – That he might know how much every man had gained by trading
· Fruitful Ţ productive use of the giftings and talents God has given.
· Every person has unique giftings – God expects you to be productive.
· Productive Ţ discover and develop and deploy gifts so that Gods interests in the earth are advanced.
· Jesus has chosen us to glorify (honour) God by being fruitful (John15:8).
(iv) Reproduce Yourself
Gen 1:28 “… be fruitful and multiply” (7235 Strongs) = increase.
· God created you to multiply – to have children.
· Multiply Ţ leave a legacy to another generation.
· More important than reproducing physically is the power to impart to others – values, attitudes, to call forth their potential.
· Matt 28:19-20 Make disciples – teaching them to obey commands.
· Your life influences others: words, attitudes, actions, faith, confidence.
· 2 John 4 “I rejoiced greatly that I found your children walking in truth.”
(v) Advance God’s Kingdom
Gen 1:28 “Be fruitful, multiply – subdue and have dominion.”
· Subdue (3533 Strongs) = to conquer, bring into subjection.
· Dominion (7287 Strongs) = prevail over, reign over, bring under authority.
· Called to have dominion over things not people.
· Rom 5:17 Reign in life.
· When controlled by things – money, possessions etc – life is in turmoil.
· Domination of people by people creates pain and violence, abuse.
· God’s Kingdom is advanced when submit to His will and His ways.