SALVATION AND SERVICE
Jn 15:14-15 No longer servants and friends.
· Disciples progressed in relationship with Lord to status of friends.
· Servants receive instruction - friends receive revelations, insights.
· Serving is the pathway to developing friendship with God.
· Serving arises out of relationship with Jesus - our response to Him.
· Serving is the pathway to greatness, to promotion in God's Kingdom. (Mt 20:25-27)
2. Salvation and Service
a. Salvation (Eph 2:8,9) = His work
· Salvation is based totally upon the work Jesus did - His work!
· Grace - power of God released into our life to change us, empowers us.
· Faith - key to accessing the grace/power of God.
· Gift - not works. Our only work is to believe - trust and rely totally on.
· We cannot add to what Christ did to make us right with God.
b. Service (Eph 2:10) = Our works
i. Identity - who we are in Christ is foundation for serving Him.
· Workmanship (4161) - fabric, fine piece of craftsmanship.
· We belong to Christ - we are children of God accepted, loved, forgiven.
· God's spirit has wrought a change within us - new creation.
· New identity - child of God, new centre - Christ Himself (2 Cor 5:15,16).
· Note: Identity not found in what we do ž striving, performing. Found in what God says about us - what He says we are.
· Devil constantly attacked Jesus' identity - if then do. Mt 4:3
· Devil constantly tried to shift focus from faith in Word of God.
· Jn 13:3 Jesus secure in identity and in destiny ž served.
· Must establish who we are in Christ or strive/perform/guilt.
ii. Service (Eph 2:10)
· Created (2936) - to fabricate, form with special purpose in mind.
- to make an original for a specific purpose.
· Works (2041) - to labour in an occupation.
· Phil 2:13 God is at work in you to will and to do of His good pleasure.
· Holy Spirit active, energises us so desire to do things that please.
· Holy Spirit reveals what God wants us to do.
· Our activities and works must arise out of inner motivation of Holy Spirit.
· Col 1:29 I labour = work hard to the point of feeling fatigue and weary.
3. Abounding Work of the Lord
· 1 Cor 15:58 Steadfast, unmoveable, always abounding in work of love. Knowing - labour not in vain.
· In vain - empty, without purpose, satisfaction, reward.
· Service arises out of:
i. Love of God, gratitude and appreciation for Lord and what He has done.
ii. Fear of Lord - respect and reverence for who He is.
Characteristics of Works (Eph 2:10)
i. Good works - serving Lord before serve man. First to Lord then to us. (2 Cor 8:5)
· Service that arises out of faith and love - He is the centre. (2 Cor 5:14-16)
· Works that enjoy the blessing and favour of God.
· Not dead – arising out of duty, guilt. (Heb 6:1)
· Religious people become occupied with dead works.
· Work of God have life, because flow out of faith and love, positive, joy, life.
ii. Prepared by God to serve
· Before ordained (4282) – to prepare, provide, make ready ahead of time.
· God has prepared works for each person to be involved in.
· Works are unique to each person’s gifting, personality, experience, maturity.
· Destiny – something bigger than ourselves – purpose for living.
· Faith – each person must listen to God directing them.
iii. Lifestyle of Service
· Walk (4043) – to tread all around, be occupied with.
· Serving is a life style – not something that happens on Sunday.
· Tit. 1:16 People can profess to know God but in works deny.
· Tit. 2:11-14 Looking for = await with patience and confidence.
· Zealous (2207) – covet, desire, passion, strong feelings.
· Liquids – to boil solids - to glow.
· Tit. 3:8:14 Be careful to maintain good works – or barren.
iv. Reward for Service
· 2 Cor. 5:10 Must all appear – give account of (works) done.
· 1 Cor. 3:13 Every mans work put to test – reward or loss.
· Mt. 16:27 Reward every man according to works.
- Reward = pay for services
- Work (4238) – to practise, perform repeatedly, habitually.
· Habit of laying down life to serve the Lord will be rewarded.
· Cf Mt 25 – talents.