PROMOTION AND POTENTIAL - I
· God has created us with potential and desires to promote us.
· Mt 25 Parable of the talents given to the servants.
· Man travelling to far country = Jesus Christ.
· Servant = man given position of trust and opportunity.
· Every servant has different ability – gifts distributed according to ability to manage.
· Potential = untapped ability.
· Potential or capacity to succeed is determined by Creator not people/circumstances.
· Every servant of God has potential to advance and be promoted.
2. Potential and Promotion
· All servants of God must give account to Him for what they did with potential.
· Purpose of giving account is that person may be promoted.
· Potential = untapped ability; unravelled like onion, one layer at a time.
· Key to releasing that potential = discover God’s purpose and fulfil it.
· vs 20 – 5 talent man Ž gained 5 talents Ž hundredfold increase – fulfilled potential.
· Promotion = to advance, go forward, be raised up.
i) Came from master (source).
ii) Related to how productive – “gain by work”.
iii) Meant increased opportunity, new level of potential.
iv) Brought joy – change in relationship with master.
· v22 – 2 talent man Ž gained 2 talents Ž hundred fold increase – fulfilled potential.
· Commended same as 5 talent man and promoted.
· v24 – 1 talent man Ž afraid and hid the talent.
· Work = God’s gift to release potential.
· Laziness = absence of work, destroys potential.
· Fear and laziness are key reasons for lack of achievement.
· Servant had wrong concept of God – How see Ž How relate.
· Mk 9:23 All things are possible to him that believes.
· vs 26 - “Wicked” = to have a hurtful or harmful influence (not evil in character).
· Laziness is contagious – robs others of their potential.
· “Slothful” = to be hesitant, delay, shrink back, hold back.
· Servant only did what needed to survive, get by, bare minimum.
· God desires us to be productive so He can promote us.
· Discouragement or dissatisfaction in life Ž separated from God.
3. Perils of Self Promotion
· Mt 20:20-27 – Mother of James and Zebedee sought to get them promoted.
vs 22-23 - promotion comes from God.
- there is a price to pay for promotion.
vs 24 - self promotion is opposed by God and by people.
· “Whosoever will” (2309) – determine, choose, purpose, set mind to.
· Every person has the seeds and desire for greatness within them.
· World’s value is on position, title, rank.
· God values service:
i) The path to greatness is service = hard work.
ii) The price of greatness is responsibility.
iii) The potential for people to serve and be faithful is unlimited.
· Self promotion = ungodly efforts to elevate self and get ahead.
· Self promotion – rooted in pride (self centredness).
· Self promotion – rooted in unbelief (lack confidence in goodness of God).
Bible Examples of Self Promotion – all destroyed themselves.
i) Adam and Eve (Gen 3:5-6 – be as gods).
ii) Lucifer (Is 14:12-14 – I will ascend, I will exalt my throne).
iii) Simon (Acts 8:9 – giving out that he himself was someone great).
iv) Absalom (2 Sam 15)
Characteristics of Self Promotion – 2 Sam 15
· vs 1 – seeking recognition from people.
· vs 1 – giving out impression of importance.
· vs 3 – flattery – speaking words to impress.
· vs 3 – fault finding – “tall poppy syndrome”.
· vs 4 – exaggerating own abilities. (Jn 7:18)
· vs 4 – position and title conscious.
· vs 3-4 – stirs up feelings of injustice.
· vs 5 – actions to impress people and gain affection. (Mt 23:5)
· vs 6 – draws people to self and own ministry. (Acts 20:30)
· - envy of success of others – unable to rejoice.
· Promotion comes when potential is released through faith and works.
· Prov 20:6 Most men proclaim own goodness – but a faithful man, who can find?
1. The wicked servant said that he ‘knew’ God.
· How did he describe God?
· How would you describe God?
2. The wicked servant.
Wicked – How was this servant’s attitude evil? What sort of influence would he have on others?
Lazy – What is laziness?
Afraid – How does fear stop us from fulfilling our potential?
What things do you need to change in your life to become more like the ‘good and faithful’ servants?
How did Absalom seek to promote himself?
How have you found Prov 20:6 to be true in your experience?
How does genuine promotion come?
What can you personally do to receive God’s promotion?