PROMOTION AND POTENTIAL II
Matt 25 Servants of the Lord each entrusted with talents
· Purpose of giving account ή opportunity for master to promote. Heart of God is to promote us.
· Promotion to advance, go forward, go upward, increase responsibility.
Ps 75:6-7 Promotion comes not from east God is the judge.
Note: Gods purpose is to promote.
God has a process of promotion.
God has principles upon which He promotes.
verse 20-23 Promotion:
i) Came from same source as gifts.
ii) Related to fulfilling potential becoming productive.
iii) Released increased opportunity/potential.
iv) Brought joy and change in relationship with master.
verse 26-28 Demotion:
· Opportunity was lost because of failure to be productive.
· Potential was not realised removed, buried.
· Fear was the source of lack of personal growth and productivity.
· Fear arose out of unbelief wrong view of master.
a) Prov 20:6 Most men will proclaim everyone his own goodness, but a faithful man who can find?
· Most ή multitude, majority of people.
· Proclaim = pronounce, call out, impose upon others.
· Self-centred people constantly promote themselves, personal agenda.
· A faithful man doesnt promote self is hard to find.
· Self-promotion = elevate or alter position, bypassing Gods process.
· Wrong view of God unbelief!
· Wrong view of others envy!
· Wrong view of self pride!
· Let every man prove his own work shoulder responsibility.
· Must have realistic view of own self and gifts God has entrusted.
· Not to think of himself more highly but soberly as God has given faith.
To esteem oneself over much
soberly = sound mind = properly formed view of self.
Sozo = sound = to save, make whole, deliver, heal.
· Must see ourselves as God sees us, ie His perspective on life.
· God never intended for success in life to be measured by opinion of others.
· When people reject or are ignorant of Gods view they promote self.
i) Lucifer (Is 14:12-14)
ii) Adam and Eve (Gen 3:5-6)
iii) Simon (Acts 8:9)
c) Self-promotion is a destructive force
vs1 seeking recognition from people.
vs1 giving out impression of importance.
vs3 flattery insincere praise to impress.
vs3 fault finding tall poppy syndrome.
vs4 exaggerating and promoting own abilities.
vs4 position and title conscious.
vs3-4 stirs up feelings of injustice to gain a hearing.
vs5 actions to impress people and win heart.
vs6 drew people to himself, his cause.
· Note: Results were destructive both for Absalom and those who followed.
· Absaloms actions rooted in pride (2 Sam 14:25-26) and offence.
3. God is the Source of Our Promotion
· Dan 2:21 God changes the times and seasons removes and sets up kings.
· Dan 4:32-37 Most high God rules in the kingdom of men.
· Dan 5:18-20 He was deposed = made to come down from kingly throne, until knew that the most High God rules in kingdom of men.
· 1 Pet 5:5-6 God resists the proud and gives grace to the humble.
Humble self under mighty hand of God that:
i) He may exalt you (lift you up, promote).
ii) Due time (at the set or proper timing, season).
· Keys for releasing your potential untapped possibilities.
i) Know who is your source God Himself.
ii) Know how God designed you to function by faith.
iii) Discover the purpose God created you for and commit yourself totally to it. (Individual and corporate who God connects you with)
iv) Discover and make good use of what God has gifted you with resources!
v) Cultivate and maintain an environment that promotes your growth.
vi) Apply yourself to work!
vii) Persevere until season changes.