Faithful In Another Man’s – IV
· Luke 16:10 Faithful in least – in money – in that which is another man’s.
· 2 key qualities God wants to develop: servant heart and faithfulness.
· God we serve is a faithful God, wants us to become like Him.
· Faithfulness reveals itself in attitude and actions to people.
2. Developing Faithfulness
a) Love People Fervently
· vs 8 Above all things have fervent love among yourselves.
· Jesus gave His life for people – every person is special to God.
· Love ̃ Affection; desire for their welfare, effort to help.
· “Above all things” – this is most important quality in serving – love for people.
Gal 5:13 By love serve one another.
· Fervent ̃ Passionate, intent, without ceasing, to stretch, extend.
Matt 24:12 Last days love of many grow cold (chill, drop in temp).
cold love ̃ tolerance for people, not rejoicing with them.
reason = iniquity = illegality, violation of law.
people become offended with actions of others and withdraw from them.
· Covers = to conceal, hide, conceal something by covering.
̃ ready to forgive the failings and falling short of others.
̃ refusing to gossip – destroy person by uncovering their sin.
cover peoples sin does not mean agree or conceal it from confrontation.
cover ̃ expression of love ̃ willing to believe in them and give grace.
Example: Jesus with Peter (Luke 22:31-33) prayed and believed in and gave new opportunity.
b) Be Hospitable
· vs 9 Use hospitality to one another without grudging.
· Hospitality = fond of guests whether friends or strangers.
· Romans 12:13 Given to hospitality. Eg, Jesus – John 1-39.
given = to pursue hard after.
̃ welcome people into your life and your home.
̃ actively reaching out to make people welcome and care for them.
̃ make home a centre of ministry to people.
· No matter what you have use it to welcome others.
· Hospitality ̃ meals – eating together bonds people.
· Without grudging = without grumbling at the effort or expense.
c) Serve With Your Giftings
· vs 10 As every man has received the gift – minister to one another.
· Minister = (1247 strongs) = to be a deacon, wait upon tables, meet needs.
· Every man ̃ not one person is excluded from receiving from God.
· Gift = (5486) – charisma = free gift empowering you to serve, meet need.
· Gift = entrustment = something given to care for.
* Steward = to be overseer, manager of a household.
* Gifts are entrusted to us by God to extend His Kingdom.
* Gifts – given for benefit of others and are not to be buried.
· God gave gift ̃ has a plan and a purpose for those gifts – serve others.
· Responsible: to discover gift – learn what you have that is unique.
to develop gift – learn how to excel in that gift.
to deploy gift – make self available to meet needs.
· Whole Body of Church needs what members have to be complete.
· Serving God ̃ Serving people.
When faithful to people – you are being faithful to God.
Must be concerned for person – not just to get job done.
d) Give God Honour
· vs 11 That God in all things may be glorified through Jesus Christ.
· Glorified ̃ to esteem glorious, full of honour.
· Does your life bring honour to God? Learn to defer praise and appreciation so that the Lord is acknowledged as source of what you do.
· How: (i) Pray over what you do – draw God’s guidance and strength
(ii) Serve with excellence
(iii) Receive praise and acknowledge the Lord.
(i) God checks your motives
· Key questions: Who am I serving? Why am I doing this?
· God checks motives especially during dry, hard, difficult season.
· Hard times ̃ motives are exposed – remain faithful to God.
(ii) God checks your attitudes
· Must guard attitudes to people – resentment?, despising?, judging?
· Rom 14:3; 10-12 Don’t despise others that are weak, lacking – serve them.
· Phil 2:2-5 Esteem and value others, help them succeed!
(iii) God rewards your faithfulness
· Col 3:23-24 Whatsoever do, do heartily as to Lord – knowing that of the Lord you shall receive reward.
· cf Jacob: deceiver – put in place where was deceived.
· Gen 28:15 Seven years seemed nothing – loved.
Please don’t try and answer all the questions, focus on where you feel the Holy Spirit wants to take the group. Draw people into “doing the word” not just hearing it ie. Practically stretching out in love to others, having guests in their homes etc! Whatever the particular focus, the last two points are the most important.
1 Peter 4:8-11
And above all things have fervent love for one another, for “love will cover a multitude of sins.”9 Be hospitable to one another without grumbling.10 As each one has received a gift, minister it to one another, as good stewards of the manifold grace of God.11 If anyone speaks, let him speak as the oracles of God. If anyone ministers, let him do it as with the ability which God supplies, that in all things God may be glorified through Jesus Christ, to whom belong the glory and the dominion forever and ever. Amen.