DELIGHT IN TRUTH & JUDGEMENT
1. God Delights In Truth and Judgement
Jer 9:23-24 “I am Lord – exercise loving kindness and judgement in earth.”
· Lord delights in showing kindness and dealing with issues.
Jer 5:1-3 “Oh Lord are not your eyes upon the truth.”
· In times of moral and spiritual decay – truth fails.
Is 59:13-15 People that speak and stand for truth are considered mad.
Jer 9:3-6 When people don’t walk in truth – can’t know God. 2 Thess 2:10-12 Love of truth.
· Deceit = withhold truth/absence of truth/alter truth/create impression.
· Impossible to have a relationship with God without truth.
· Truth is foundational to building relationships.
· Deceive neighbour: (i) deliberately mislead. Prov 12:2 Lying lips = abomination.
Deal truly – His delight.
(ii) hear and say nothing – come into agreement with what he
Eg, Num 30:4-7 Father/husband disallow in day heard.
· Truth = God’s perspective on reality: Seek truth Þ Seek God’s perspective.
2. God’s Love Manifests in Truth and Judgement
· Love - lost its meaning.
· Truth - also lost its meaning – become relative/subjective.
- truth must connect to reality, objective.
1 John 4:10 Herein is love of God manifested – mercy seat, for our sin.
· Love must express itself through giving.
· Love of God characterised by: à generosity - gave
à personal involvement - son
à truth - word made flesh
· God does not tolerate evil – exposes it with good.
· God’s love: (i) confronts evil – manifests truth
(ii) calls to repentance – period of grace.
(iii) ensures there are consequences – free will
· Tolerate = allowance given to something don’t really approve of
= permit, put up with something even if disagree
Þ no opinion or idea is to be criticised
Politically correct = new idol = what is currently in vogue, fashion
· Jesus taught that truth incorporated in life sets us free.
· John 8:31-32 Truth = substance. Lie = lack substance Þ unstable.
· Key principle in dealing with people.
· Key principle in raising children.
· Cost in leading people.
· Love = truth/calls for responsibility – ensures consequences.
à Adam à Noah
à Egypt à Ananias & Sapphira
Example: (i) Luke 4:18 - anointing
(ii) preached repentance
(iii) wept and pronounced judgement
3. The Cross of Christ Demonstrates God’s Love
- Mercy and Truth, Justice and Judgement
· Cross: (i) sin judged – wages of sin = death
(ii) mercy extended – Jesus our mercy seat
· Cross – divides history – AD/BC.
· Cross – truth of cross and name of Jesus confront and call for repentance.
· John 3:16-19 For God so loved He gave – believe not is to be judged.
· John 14:6 I am the way – no man.
· Acts 4:12 Neither is their salvation in any other name.
· 1 Tim 2:5 One mediator between God and man.
· God’s word divides as we absorb it into personal life and learn to apply it to own life then to others.
· Need to: (i) seek truth
(ii) speak relevant truth
(iii) stay open to truth – can’t guarantee 100% right all the time