· God has created an order in the relationships, husband and wife.
· God sees them of equal value and desires them to flow together in life as a team.
· God has set the husband as spiritual head ie, leader of his wife and holds him responsible.
Husbands: Love your wives as Christ loved the church and gave Himself for it.
Wives: Submit yourselves to own husbands as unto the Lord.
· As (5613) – in the same manner that follows; using as a model the example that follows.
· Submit (5293) – Hupotasso – position, arrange in orderly manner, arrange in battle array ie, position yourself in God’s order and leading, recognising husbands role so can be blessed.
· Own à applies only in relationships to own husband not to another man.
2. 5 Biblical Reasons for Wife to Submit to Husband
i) It is God’s order for the husband/wife relationship.
ii) It brings honour to God and His Word.
· Blaspheme (987) – to speak against, speak evil of, hinder the effect of.
· Note: God’s Word gave freedom and value to women in a society that oppressed them.
iii) It gives great influence upon husband.
iv) It is precious to God and attractive to men.
Great price (4185) – extremely expensive, costly, very precious
v) It releases authority to protect and direct the family.
Agree (4856) – sumphoneo – to be harmonious, to sound in accord.
To submit: Act of recognition of the role God has given the husband.
Act of faith – trusting in Lord to work out matters.
Act of positioning self for God to bless.
· It is a proactive step made in response to leading of the Holy Spirit.
· It does not mean becoming passive and subject to abuse or domination.
3. Led by the Spirit not under the Law
· Jesus came to give us life - more abundantly.
· This life is not found in living by laws and rules but by a relationship.
a) Legalism = living by a demand to perform, to meet up to some standard
· Bible reveals 2 ways God related to man. Old Testament = Law – external demand. New Testament = Grace.
· In both Old Testament and New Testament those who pleased God were people of faith. (Heb 11:6)
· Faith arises as Holy Spirit speaks to us how God wants us to live. (Ro 10:17)
· 2 ways can attempt to live. (i) by laws. (ii) by leading of Holy Spirit
· John 8 – woman caught in adultery – Moses law says – what do you say?
· Law creates demand; either/or; leads to hypocrisy, pretending. (Lk 12:1)
b) Legalism brings people into bondage and spiritual death
· 2 Cor 3:6-7 “The letter of the law kills but the Spirit gives life”
· Any Bible teaching no matter how accurate can bring evil bondage to people.
· Living by rules and laws and demands à live outside God’s leading and protection.
· Using Bible to justify dominating, oppressing, quenching life, maintaining positive is evil and released death.
· Gal 5:1 “Be not entangled in yoke of bondage” (legalism)
v13 you have been called to liberty
· Liberty (1657) – unrestrained freedom, exempt from obligation, able to act freely.
· Only restraint: “By love serve one another”
· Holy Spirit does not tell a man to make his wife submit or a women to pressure man to lead – legalism and demand!
c) The devil is a legalist
· Mt 4:6 If you be the Son of God – for it is written
· Words – ‘must’, ‘ought to’.
· Accusations; you did; you didn’t.
· Legalism is often result of true principle at wrong time, wrong situation.
· Spirit powers use the law as grounds to bring people into bondage.
· Any doctrine no matter how biblically accurate can bring darkness and bondage.
Gal 3:1 “Who has bewitched you?”
· People came under influence of evil spirit power – result = legalism and bondage.
· Anything that brings darkness and bondage and oppression, abuse
· 2 Cor 3:17 “Where the Spirit of the Lord is there is liberty”
cf David and Michal. (2 Sam 6)
d) Yielding to the direction of Holy Spirit brings life
· Gal 3:9 “Those which be of faith are blessed with faithful Abraham”
· Yielding to the Holy Spirit causes us to fulfil will of God and do things that please.
Phil 2:13 “God is at work in you both to will and to do of His good pleasure”
· Great freedom and authority comes out of Holy Spirit not by some law or doctrine.
· Only time Word/will of God is fulfilled is when follow leading of Holy Spirit.
· Following letter of law hinders will of God and releases death.
· Following Holy Spirit’s direction releases the power of God and life of God.
Eph 5:17,18-21 Be not unwise – understand what will of God is
e) Key issue: What does Holy Spirit want me to do?
· Requires accept responsibility – not live by laws but listen to God.
· Eg, Divorce: Mt 19:8 – Moses, because of hardness of heart, permitted it
Moses knew law, plan of God concerning marriage, divorce, adultery.
· Hard heart (4641) – to be dry, hard, tough, sever, fierce.
· God guided Moses to permit some divorces; not God’s best; God made allowances.
· How to handle situations – yield or confront?
Disagree with husband ] pray
Husband wrong ] check own heart at first
Husband demands do something wrong ] listen to Holy Spirit
Husband passive, neglectful ] whatever He says to do, do it
Husband abusive ] - power, blessing on relationship
Husband unfaithful ]