HEADSHIP AND RESPONSIBILITY
Ro. 13:1-2. Let every soul be subject to the higher powers and for there is no power but of God. The powers that be are ordered by God.
· God has established an order in the spirit world and an order in the natural world.
· Authority originates from God. He is the source of it.
· Power = exousia = legal or lawful or delegated right to act.
· Higher = one positioned above another or at a higher level.
· There are four distinct authority structures God has ordered – each has distinct responsibilities.
i) Government (1Pet.2:13-14)
ii) Church (Heb. 13:7)
iii) Family (1 Cor. 11:3)
iv) Individual (Ro. 14:12)
Ro. 13: 1-2. Be subject … or “Resist” (Only two responses possible).
· Resist = anti tasso = to arrange or position oneself against.
= military term to arrange oneself in battle against, opposition to.
· People resist what God has ordered because of ignorance – not knowing what is expected or required of them, because of neglect; because in their thinking are opposed to what God has ordered.
· Subject = hupotasso = to subordinate, arrange oneself in order beneath. This does not mean one person inferior; or imply oppression or control. This refers to the order in a relationship in which one person looks to the other for direction. The purpose of this order is to allow those in relationship to function together in unity.
· E.G. Jn 5:30 I seek not my own will but the will of the Father who sent me.
Jn 17:22 That they may be one even as we are one.
· Subject means much more than just obedience.
· E.G. Honour, respectful, responsive to direction; co-operating with anothers purposes.
· All Christians are call to “be subject” to authorities.
1 Cor. 11:3 Headship: God Christ Man Woman.
· The headship of man is a role in relationship to his wife.
· This headship is part of a series of headship relationships involving both headship and submission.
· These roles do not imply inferiority but are part of divine order.
· Reason given: Creation design.
· Man was created first and had already begun his God given work.
· Man stood alone – God’s representative ruler in the earth, designed to lead.
· Woman was made out of man designed to be his helper and companion.
· Woman was the glory of man as man was the glory of God.
· Examples of God – Christ
· God’s purpose and desire = to exalt Christ to share rulership with him over all He created. Father gave direction – Son subject o.
· Father loved and gave leadership – Son subject to this!
1 Cor. 11:3 Headship Responsibility /People want rights and privilege – God’s design = responsibility.
· No man can be an effective leader in marriage until settles the issues in his heart.
(i) God has appointed him as leader/spiritual head. (1 Cor. 11:3)
(ii) God has creatively designed him for this task – not his wife (Gen. 2:18; 1 Pet. 3:7).
(iii) God’s power is released only as he assumes a sense of responsibility for leadership. (Eph. 3:7) Headship is not just a role it is a position of responsibility and authority.
· Rom. 5:12 By one man sin entered the world.
· Eve ate the fruit but God held man responsible for allowing sin to enter.
· Adam failed to fulfil his leadership responsibility – remained silent Gen 3:6.
· Male/Female roles are emphasised in the Bible because:
(i) Common for males to abdicate spiritual leadership responsibilities in home and the church.
(ii) Male irresponsibility and passivity frustrates and creates immense damage and ruin in families and churches.
(iii) Male abdication of headship – refusal to submit to God’s order and design.
(iv) Every husband and father will be held to account for his marriage and family. 1 Cor. 4:2 – required of stewards a man be found faithful.
Whenever a man arises to assume responsibility for leadership.
(i) Experiences strong spiritual pressures against him to –
Undermine his confidence and ability and fill with feelings of inadequacy and intimidation.
Push him to yield up his responsibility and spiritual position.
(ii) Heavens power is released to stand behind him and impart wisdom, direction and help him make decisions.
· God is for leadership – oppression, abuse, neglect not His will.
· The line between evil oppression and true leadership is in the heart. Mt.20:25-28.
(i) King Mentality – man assumes ‘King’ mentality when seeks his wife and family as subjects existing for his purposes and convenience.
(ii) Servant Leader
· Husband sees role as servant existing for benefit of his wife and family to fulfil the purposes of God.
· God’s principles of leadership are based upon serving.
· Serving begins with attitude of heart – sense of responsibility for and willingness to give self to those you lead.
· Servant leadership
(ii) Example – standards
(v) Protects – spiritually and naturally
(vi) Unites family to relate and work together.