CLEANSING FROM DEFILEMENT
Prov. 4:23 Keep your heart with all diligence for out of it flow the issues of life.
· Heart = core of your being - whatever captures/defiles heart affects all your life.
· Keep = 5341 = Guard, protect, watch over what enters, influences, develops within.
· Marriage in will of God = commitment of man and woman to give heart to each other.
· God’s law of oneness activated: 1)2 people involved in sexual intimacy
2)2 people lower walls of heart, share treasures
DEFILEMENT OF SEXUAL SIN
· 1 Cor. 6:16:18 Sexual sin - only sin that brings outside influences into body.
· “Two become One” - sexual sin opens door for life of one person to enter another.
· No other sin does this - sexual sin opens your life to another person and connects.
· Ro.1:27 - Homosexual sin. “Receiving in themselves the recompense of their error”.
· Consequences of sexual sin not only outward - they enter into person’s being.
i) Pornography – Pictures become imbedded in mind “alive”, thoughts replay over.
ii) Divorce – Person keeps ‘remembering’ spouse and longings, struggles arise.
iii) Adultery – Person secretly battles with memories, longings – hinder intimacy.
iv) Encounters – Person remembers, dreams, fantasies about past partners.
v) Molestation – Person feels confused, longs for intimacy, unwanted memories.
§ God’s word warns us – sexual sin opens life to receive within self the sexual sins committed.
§ Person is defiled by these encounters – unable to give self to spouse.
§ Spouse feels hidden walls, blocks, defilement – presence of others.
2 Cor. 7:1 Let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of flesh and spirit.
§ Filthiness = stain, defilement.
§ Our responsibility to recognise defilement and to deal with it.
§ Removing defiling forces opens way for blessing God to flow.
Ps. 119:9 “Wherewithal shall a young man cleanse his way? By taking heed unto your Word”.
1 Jn 1:6-9
§ Walk in the light = 1) Fellowship; ii) Cleansing.
§ Walk – lifestyle how you conduct your life.
1 Jn 1:9 If we confess our sins – he is faithful and just to forgive and to cleanse.
§ We can forgive each other but only God can cleanse our heart.
§ Confess is more than just saying “I am sorry”.
§ Confess = Homologeo = to speak the same thing that God speaks.
= To agree with, to come into complete and full agreement with God.
= To let go all excuses, reasons, attachments we have to sin.
= To admit sin and to take on His way of viewing sin.
§ Results can be immediate but for most it is a process.
1. Agreement with God (1 Jn.1:9)
Jer. 3:13 Acknowledge your iniquity that you have transgressed against the Lord and scattered your ways to strangers under every green tree.
§ Acknowledge = to know by experience, intimate (Gen. 4:1; Prov. 3:5)
§ Transgressed = to break away from just authority, to rebel.
§ Scattered ways = disperse, scatter the course of your life.
§ Green Tree = Asherah – pole that was worshipped as source of life, fertility.
- Idolatry and sex sin = pride and idolatry to self.
§ Complete and full agreement with God, confession of sin against Him.
§ Forgiveness is immediate but cleansing may take time.
2. Grieving/Mourning over Sin (2 Cor. 4:2)
§ Problem with saying “I’m sorry” = How deep, genuine is sorrow?
§ Sorry for the mess? Sorrow over sin and its destruction?
§ People must attach pain to sin rather than pleasure, longing.
§ Meditate on the Cross = suffering Christ and how He loved you.
§ Allow the Holy Spirit to convict of sin produce grief, tears of repentance.
§ Lingering pictures, vision, longings = heart not yet fully cleansed.
3. Break All Attachments (2 Cor. 4:2)
§ Renounce – to speak off, disown.
§ Renounce – (ungodly soul ties and inner vows).
§ Release – forgiveness – hatred, bitterness, keep door to life open.
Forgiveness (from heart) is vital part of cleansing.
§ Heb. 12:15 Bitterness defiles.
4. Separation (1 Pet. 4:1-4)
§ Distance self from previous partner.
§ Eliminate contact/photos etc.
§ Build a wall in heart so no sharing.
5. Confront Evil Thoughts (2 Cor. 10:4)
§ First frame thinking
§ Make thoughts prisoner of war.
§ Focus thoughts elsewhere.
N.B. May need support and accountability during the process of cleansing and inward heart attitudes addressed. Cf 1 Jn. 2:11.