BECAUSE OF THE ANGELS
· 1 Cor 11:3 Christ is the head of the man, the man is the head of the woman.
· Head – role of leadership: authority God has designated to the man.
· Authority – greater value. Both husband and wife are of equal value (Gal 3:28)
· Authority – how God has organised the roles to fulfil His purposes.
- responsible to protect those of lesser authority.
i. Man is the head (1 Cor 11:3)
ii. Woman is his help meet (Gen 2:18)
· 1 Cor 11:10 “For this cause ought the woman have power on head because of angels”
ought 3784 - to owe, is indebted, under obligation; benefit, gain advantage.
power 1849 - delegated authority, it is lawful.
- person delegated authority or legal right to exercise power.
· God calls the women to come under the leadership order He has established.
Submit – hupotasso – to arrange self in order or battle array beneath delegated authority.
· “Because of the Angels” – reason that women needs to position self.
Angel can be:
i. Angels of God
ii. Messengers of Satan (2 Cor 12:7)
2. The Interaction of Spirit World/Human World
a) God has created an ordered universe
Ps 8:4-7 “You have made him a little lower than the angels”.
· God is a God of order – created an orderly universe.
· Rules and principles govern both natural and spiritual worlds.
· One of most important rules is one governing authority relationship.
· All created beings in universe are ordered in hierarchy of authority.
i) Angels - Archangels (Michael/Gabriel) Cherubim, Seraphim, angels.
ii) Demonic Beings - Archangel (Satan) Principalities, powers, rulers, demons.
iii) Human Beings - to government; work; home; church.
· Humans have been created to rule over the angels (1Cor 6:3)
b) Rules that govern conflict in the natural/spiritual world
· Satan is a created being – required by God to strictly obey rules (Job 1), he is confined to work in darkness.
· God has created laws and principles that govern natural and spiritual realm and he upholds them by his power.
· There are only 2 positions you can take in relation to what God has ordered. Rom 13:1-2
Submit - hupertasso - arrange self under
Resist - antitasso - arrange self against
· Spirit world recognises all authority relationships – that God has established and must yield to the lawful exercise of that authority.
· Demonic spirits are able to see the spiritual condition of any individual and identify any legal grounds to attach (Matt 12:43, Acts 19)
· Human beings can yield authority over their lives either to God or to Satan.
(Luke 4:16, Rom 6:14)
· Allegiance/obedience increases the authority/power of God or Satan in persons life.
· Whatever a leader (head) does with their authority affects every person under their care.
eg Luke 4:6 - Disobeyed to God automatically yielded rights to Satan.
- When person yields authority it is used by Satan against them.
eg Exodus 20:4-6
· Any commitment, dedication, curse or blessing entered into by a person in one generation may give authority over that persons descendants. Eg, Adam, Abraham, David, Acham, Eli.
· If such curses, commitments not cancelled they pass generation to generation.
3. The Husband is the Spiritual Gatekeeper
a) God calls men to provide protection.
Eph 5:23 “Husband is head of wife as Christ is head of church and He is the saviour of the body”
· “As” – in just the same manner as follows.
· Saviour – to deliver, to protect, to make safe.
· Subject – to place oneself in battle array under the leaderships direction of husband so as to flow as a team and fulfil the purpose God intended for the man.
· Note: Eph 5 – order in relationships precedes Eph 6 – spiritual warfare.
b) A gatekeeper controls the entrance
· Matt 16:18-19 Gates – place of entrance, authority.
· OT – elders sat in the gates – made decisions, exercised authority.
· Whatever spiritual influences enter family come as a result of the exercise of authority of the man.
· Man can allow demonic activity or allow Holy Spirit activity.
· Man has greater authority – greater responsibilities. ie, man assigned task of protecting those more vulnerable, not taking advantage in the home/church.
· Key principle in exercising authority is service. (Matt 20:25-28) Motivated out of love.
· Purpose of that authority:
ii. Bless (nurture) Gen 2:15
4. How a Man can Protect his Home
· He must fully assume God given responsibilities and exercise authority in love.
i) Personal relationship with Christ – connected, receiving guidance, resolve personal issues.
ii) Holding wife and children in heart – shouldering responsibility.
iii) Exercise spiritual authority – speak into spirit world to forbid/release – break spiritual attacks on wife.
i) Hold fast his covenant commitment. Mal 2:15 (wife attached in security)
ii) Listen to his wife – needs, concerns. 1 Pet 3:7 (wife attached in loneliness)
iii) Honour and value his wife. 1 Pet 3:7 (wife attached in low esteem)
iv) Give direction in home – values, responsibilities, priorities. Josh 24:15 (wife attached in burden)
iv) Maintain family unity/agreement. Ps 133, Matt 18:19, Matt 12:25