I GIVE YOU AUTHORITY
· Mt.28:18-20 Great Commission = a mandate, directive to the church.
· “All Power” = (1849 Strongs) = authority, delegated right to rule or exercise dominion.
· Heaven and Earth = Jesus delegated right to rule extends over all the natural and spirit realm.
· Jesus makes known the extent of his authority before commissioning the church.
· Implied in the commission “Go ye” is authority delegated by Jesus to the church to act on His behalf.
· “Make disciples - teaching them to obey” - obedience establishes authority. Whatever you yield to, obey, becomes your master. You take on the character of that master.
Yielding to Jesus = become like him. His character is to bring spiritual freedom.
Yielding to Devil = become like him. His character is to bring into bondage.
2. HOW MUCH AUTHORITY DOES SATAN HAVE?
a) Bible indicates that Satan has considerable influence over the world.
· 1 Jn. 5:19 - The whole world lies under the wicked one.
· Eph. 2:2 - Walking according to the prince of the power of the air.
· Eph. 6:12 - Wrestle … against principalities, against power and against the rulers of the darkness of this world.
· In the Garden of Eden - Adam surrendered his authority and Satan seized it (Lk.4:6).
· In the Garden of Gethsemane and at the Cross Jesus won back what was lost.
· The church is called to “go forth” on Jesus behalf and possess what He has legally won.
b) There are clear boundaries abound the authority Satan is able to exert.
i) His authority is limited by God, sometimes severely (Job 1:10)
ii) Sometimes he may be granted greater authority (Job 2:6, 2 Cor. 12:7)
iii) For Satan to exercise authority over people he must have their cooperation (Eph. 4:27).
iv) Satan is able to blind people’s mind to the truth (2 Cor. 4:4) or to deceive and blind some Christians and lead them away from the truth. (1 Tim. 4:1).
v) Satan is able to hinder God’s people and organisations directly or indirectly through people who serve him (knowingly or unknowingly). 1 Thess. 2:18.
· The church needs revelation of the exceeding greatness of the power of God that is available to us.
3. OUR MANDATE = ENTER ENEMY TERRITORY AND CONQUER
· Mt. 28:19 - Great Commission - mandate to enter a war zone, a battlefield - earth.
i.e. to represent Jesus and to speak and act on his behalf.
i.e. to exercise authority on his behalf and subdue spiritual powers so that his rule is extended.
· When saved, we were recruited as soldiers to go behind enemy lines, to assert spiritual authority and to destroy the works and activity of spirits.
· Mt. 16:18 - only the church has the potential to destroy Satan’s Kingdom.
No. 1 priority of Satan - neutralise the church
No. 1 priority of Jesus - build and mobilise the church to evangelism
No. 1 Priority Church - Go forth, exercise spiritual authority - reach the lost
· 2 Tim. 2:3 - endure hardness as a good soldier of Jesus Christ.
· We are at war whether we like it or not. Soldiers who don’t fight can’t expect to win.
· If stand around, hide from reality, runaway - defeated soldier.
· 2 Tim. 2:26 - recover self out of snare of devil who are taken capture at his will.
· Take captive = (2221 Strongs) - to make a prisoner of war, capture, ensnare.
· If we do not exercise the authority Jesus has given we can be make POW’s.
· You are a potential threat to the enemy if you discover:
1) Who you are 2) What authority you have 3) How you can exercise it.
4. AUTHORITY AND POWER IS FOR ACCOMPLISHING God’s purposes.
· Lk. 9:1 Jesus sent his disciples and “gave them power and authority over all devils and to cure disease”.
· Lk. 10:19 I give you authority to tread on serpents and scorpions and all the power of the enemy.
· Authority = right to use power, delegated right to rule.
Person right because of status or standing to rule or exert power.
Our authority flows out of personal relationship and obedience to Jesus.
Jesus authority flowed out of a personal relationship and obedience to Father’s will.
· Power = Miracle strength, force or ability.
Our power is the anointing of the Holy Spirit.
· Jesus has given us a mandate (authority) and a source of power (Holy Spirit).
· We do not own it - entrusted to manage it.
· We must use it rightly - for extending purpose and will of God.
· We must not presume - think we can do what we want and expect God to bless it.
5. HOW SPIRITUAL AUTHORITY IS EXERCISED
· Mk. 11:23 “Speak to the mountain and … and not doubt in heart”.
· When exercise authority over animals, do it vocally - command what expect to happen.
· Spirit world is always listening therefore you speak out into a listening world.
· Spirit realm cannot ignore the commands of God’s servants.
· Any command we utter that relates to the activity of demonic spirits is heard loud and clear and there is a response.
· When your will is aligned with the will of God then you can exert authority on Jesus behalf with his backing.
· NB - Acts 19 Sons of Scevia - tried to exercise authority without relationship.
· Mt. 18:18 whatsoever bind on earth shall be bound also in heaven.
Bind = prohibit or forbid
Loose - permit or allow.
· In every area of our life where we have been given responsibility or direction from God we can prohibit or bind spiritual powers so as to protect or prevent spiritual attack or to launch attacks on spiritual power.
Read Job 1:8-12
· What authority or power did Satan have over Job?
· In what ways was his power restricted? Who did this?
· What was the effect of this hedge of protection?
· What increase in authority was given to Satan? What limits were put on it?
· What do you think was the purpose of God permitting a season of spiritual conflict?
· What was the end benefit of Job’s stand for God? (Read Job. 42:10).
· What does this imply about the limits placed by God on Satan?
· What do you think are some of Satan’s main strategies to gain influence and authority over Christians? (answer - offenses; deception; temptation; accusations).
· What does God require of us to maintain victory? (Ja.4:7)
· How does this apply to us practically?
i.e. what is meant by “submit”?
What is meant by “resist”?
Read Mt. 18:18
· What two activities are you authorised to do on earth that has impact in the spirit realm?
· What is meant by “Bind” and “Loose”?
· Can you identify any areas in your life or circumstances where spirit powers might be operating without you being aware?
· What is the affect of these spiritual forces operating?
· Have you ever spoken into the spirit world and exercised authority over spirit activities? Explain what happened?
· What areas do you think you need to speak in Jesus name and authority to prevent or block spirit forces operating?
· How will you do it?