HOW TO HANDLE FRUSTRATION
- Road Rage
- “Falling down”
Ezra. 4:4-6 - Hired counsellors against them to frustrate their purpose.
Frustrate = 6565 Breakup, disappoint, cause efforts to be blocked or
· Everyone has moments or seasons of frustration.
- Feeling of being hindered, barrier to accomplishing your goal, blocked
- Can be person, thing, machine, relationship, circumstance.
- Feeling that something or someone is holding me back.
· Need to learn how to handle frustration – it will come to you!
Phil 4:10-13 Paul
· Learned = acquired ability to handle frustrations and obstacles.
· Paul experienced opposition continually to his work and ministry.
· E.g: shipwreck; riots; false accusations; stoning; demonic opposition; prison.
· E.g: 1 Thes. 2:18 “I would have come but Satan hindered us” 1465 = impede, detain.
· Content = satisfied to point where not disturbed by situation or circumstances. Lit = to raise a barrier that wards off.
· Know how = has learned how to live in good and bad.
· Instruction = “Learn the secret” of handling every situation.
NB Frustration is not external but has its root on the inside.
Frustrating people/things/circumstances – won’t affect you unless you permit
External circumstances trigger something that is within.
Cause of Frustration
1. Inability to accept self way God made you – angry, life dealt bad.
2. Reluctance to deal with things from past – accumulated, anger, e.g. childhood; failure; sin; mistakes – haven’t faced, running.
3. Refused to deal with sin – things that know are not will of God. .e.g. present habit; attitude; e.g. anger; bitterness – continued reaction to people, uptight;
fear – trying to control.
4. Perfectionism – trying to be in control of life, people, circumstances – Goals always out of reach – frustration.
· Changing the circumstances doesn’t make any difference.
How People respond to Frustration
· Feel powerless – angry reaction at self and others
· Blame or accuse others
· Attempt to control or manipulate circumstances.
· Try to escape – withdraw
e.g. doctor – something wrong with me/need something to perk me up/dependent.
Is 14:27 Lord has purposed – who can frustrate, turn him back.
· Some periods of frustration are deliberately permitted by God.
· Why God frustrates us?
1. Bring deeper relationship
2. Develop your character
3. Get your attention – something hadn’t thought of.
· Sense of restlessness, frustration can’t quite put finger on.
· Sent to deal with area hadn’t thought of
Direct you to go where would not have gone.
· How to Handle Frustration
Phil. 4:13 “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
· Not = can do anything want to.
· = can do all God wants for me
· Strengthen = enduomai to empower, enable, make strong
1. Look Inside - anything to face? To change?
2. Look to the Lord - what trying to say? - listen
- can’t make God hurry up – must wait on him and trust him to lead, direct as surrender.
- Acknowledge his love care personal interest.
- Surrender to him and allow him to direct.
- Express gratitude to him for working it out.