DESTINY IS IN OUR HANDS
· The Bible unfolds the purposes of God and reveals how He involves people.
· God’s purposes always involve people who hear and respond to His Will in their generation.
· King David saved his generation by fulfilling the Will of God (Acts 13:36)
· People view world upheavals with alarm. They are signs of what God is doing!
· Destiny is not found in papers or media but in discovering plan of God.
· God has placed the spiritual welfare and destiny of this city in the hands of the church.
2. HUMAN DESTINY IS CENTRED ON WHAT GOD IS DOING THROUGH PEOPLE
a) Gen.2:15-17 Adam and the tree in the garden - knowledge of good and evil.
· Adam held the future of humanity in his hands.
· The destiny of every human being hinged on him hearing and obeying God.
· Every human being would be affected by his actions - Ro.5:12.
b) Gen 6:8-14 Noah “Build an Ark”
· Noah held the future destiny of humanity in his hands.
· The destiny of every human being hinged on him hearing and obeying God
· Every person living today has been affected by his actions.
c) Gen. 12:1-3 Abraham “In you shall all families of the earth be blessed”
· Abraham became the centre of destiny of God’s purpose for humanity.
· The land promised to Abraham is continually the centre of world attention.
· The promise that those who bless Abraham and descendants will be blessed still holds.
· If the Jewish people all return to Israel with their money the whole world will be affected.
· Abraham the centre of destiny. Through him a Saviour came into the world.
· In his day he heard and obeyed God.
d) Exod.19:4-6 Israel “You shall be to me a Kingdom of Priests”
· Israel became the centre of human destiny - the focus of God’s action.
· A nation of people became the centre of God’s purposes.
· Priest = person who approaches God on behalf of others and brings blessing from God to them.
· The whole nation were called to be a channel of blessing to nations of the World.
· Only through them could people access the living God.
· The flow of divine favour and blessing depended on their hearing and obeying God.
· (Dt.4:5-8 - What nation is there so great that has God so near to them?)
e) Jn. 3:16 Jesus “Whoever believes on him shall not perish?
· Jesus became the centre of destiny for God’s purpose and flow of blessing to humanity.
· In his day access to the blessing and favour of God meant encountering Him.
· All of humanity’s future depended upon him hearing and obeying God.
· Through his obedience to death a channel of blessing has been opened to all nations. Jn. 7:37 - If any man thirst - let him come to me - rivers of living water.
· Human destiny has always centred upon people who responded to God.
3. THE CHURCH - THE INSTRUMENT OF GOD’S DESTINY
· Mt. 28:18-20 All authority - Go ye and disciple all nations.
· The destiny of humanity was entrusted to the church of Jesus Christ.
· A mandate - command has been given to influence all nations.
· Rev.1:6 - He has redeemed us and made us Kings and Priests to our God.
· The church has a calling to be:
i) Priests - enter the presence of God with burdens and problems of people and bring forth blessing to people
ii) Kings - to exercise authority/dominion and extend the rule of God.
· The church holds the destiny of cities and nations in its hands. It has been entrusted keys to restrict demonic activity and release divine blessing.
· Mt. 18:18-19 I will give to you the keys of the Kingdom of Heaven whatsoever you bind on earth shall be bound also in heaven.
· Real seat of power/government is the throne of God.
· Church has access to the throne of God to bring forth blessing to cities, nations.
· There are some areas over which natural government have no influence at all.
· The church must arise and fulfill its mandate by hearing and obeying God.
· The destiny of people in our cities depends upon what we do.
· Jer.29:7 Seek the peace of the city - pray unto the Lord for it for in its peace you shall have peace.
· Intercession is one of the most powerful tools given to us to bring forth blessing from the spirit realm to the earth.
· The church must speak to God on behalf of men before it can speak to men on behalf of God.
4. FRESH FIRE FROM HEAVEN
1 Chron. 21:24-26
· The Spirit of God is calling people to fresh intimacy, passion for Christ.
· 3 keys of David’s offering (priesthood).
1. Not rely on what someone else did - Personal responsibility
2. Buy it at full price - no short cuts - Personal Integrity/Excellence
3. No offering without cost - Personal Sacrifice
· David accessed the supernatural realm of God, the throne of God and brought forth fire from heaven. Fire = Move of Holy Spirit.
1. Healing for the city (v27)
2. Revelation of God’s prophetic purposes (22:1-2) for the city.
· Our prayers can bring forth healing and prophetic direction for our loved ones, neighbours and for our city.
Do not attempt to answer all the questions.
1. Read Gen.6:8-14 and Matt. 24:37-39
· What is meant by the term “grace”?
· How do we receive the grace of God?
· What characteristics did Noah display (Gen.6:9)?
· What is meant “walked with God”?
· What difficulties, opposition must Noah have faced?
· What characteristics of Noah’s day will be evident at the end of the age?
· What was Noah called on to do? What was its significance?
· What are we called to do in this day?
· How is “building the ark” similar to the “Great Commission”?
· In what ways does the future of people in our city depend upon the church hearing and obeying God?
· Discuss ways that you could improve your personal intercession for unsaved people and your personal efforts to befriend and reach them for Christ.
· What could you do as a group in the area of intercession and outreach?
· What target will you set together for growth in numbers of your group?
· How will you go about gathering in people?
Thoughts to Ponder
· If God left the eternal future of your friends and loved ones totally in your hands how many would be saved by your current efforts?
· If God has not left the eternal future of your friends and loved ones in your hands then who has He given that responsibility to?